New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Anyone heard anything about a price tag?

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
snikro

snikro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagger Pumper View Post
do you think they will make hard covers for it like ipods ?
I can see a LOT of accessories coming out for this, just like the iPod...
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteYfz

WhiteYfz is an unknown at this point

anyone find more pics?
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteYfz

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikro View Post
I can see a LOT of accessories coming out for this, just like the iPod...
yupp .. im sure.. gel skins.. hard cases.. all that stuff
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Anyone heard anything about a price tag?

The phone will be offered exclusively through Cingular in the US in June, and will come to Europe in Q4 2007, and Asia in 2008. A 4 GB model will be offered for $499 with a 2 year contract, and an 8 GB model will fetch $599 with similar contract provisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteYfz View Post
anyone find more pics?
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
chiffonhead

chiffonhead is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 16GB iPhone, 17" iMac, 13" MacBook & 17" MacBook Pro

awesome. my plan with Cingular runs out in September so I can get this phone at a good price or I may ask for one for my birthday in August.

I think the phone and its options seem to be, as usual, first rate.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828 View Post
After the initial OMG I WANT ONE reaction, a scan through the specs shows that it's pretty much all been done before (except maybe the multi-touch thing). Now I'm sure Apple is going to do an outstanding job with it, but ultimately, how is it really going to be that much better than what is already on the market? mp3 playback, third party apps, and the rest is all functionallity that is already currently on the market. So does Apple really expect to ship 10 million units through Cingular only, when they have other smartphones on the market at a cheaper price? Particularly when companies that ship their fist model cell phones notoriously have problems with them. Maybe Apple will get it right the first try, but I'm expecting at least minor bugs for the first few months. We'll see I guess. But with my current contract and my disdain for cingular (see above post), I won't have one of these for some time. Not until 2nd gen at least the way things look.
All of the other phones make serious compromises in other areas though. Can't play DRM iTunes, or if they can, they are limited to 100 songs. Usually they're ugly, have small screens or are bulky (or all 3 occasionally), or even worse come with Windows CE and won't talk to your mac or even Windows for that matter.

I have high hopes for this device - it's sleek, has full functionality and looks delicious. The Cingular contract is horrible though and will cripple sales, especially in the USA. It'll be interesting to see who the international partners are.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
WhiteYfz

i would just get one , and unlock it, but then i cant have insurance on it. .which means i would be paying 600 for a new one.. which isnt happening.. unless you can buy it from the apple store and get apple care for it.. thats a diff story ...
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
All of the other phones make serious compromises in other areas though. Can't play DRM iTunes, or if they can, they are limited to 100 songs. Usually they're ugly, have small screens or are bulky (or all 3 occasionally), or even worse come with Windows CE and won't talk to your mac or even Windows for that matter.

I have high hopes for this device - it's sleek, has full functionality and looks delicious. The Cingular contract is horrible though and will cripple sales, especially in the USA. It'll be interesting to see who the international partners are.
Well, not being a fan of DRM, I don't buy from iTunes so that's not particularly an issue for me. Buy CDs and rip them for better quality and greater control over your music...but that's just me.

I used to have a couple of different models of smartphone-- a Nokia 3650 (symbian series 60) and a Motorolla mpx 220 (Windows Mobile 2003). Both were good at what they did (though the Motorolla wasn't loud enough). Both had mp3 playback. But I found that even with third party apps, mp3 playback, contact syncing and the like, I never really used them for much more than a phone most of the time, and both of them had battery life issues when used for any length of time.

But don't get me wrong, I'd love to throw away $500 on one of these It just doesn't look like that I'll be able to get one befor 2009, at which point it'll likely be in gen 2 and a bunch of other companies will be competing directly with it. shrug.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

I have a feeling that international versions, presumably unlocked, will be going for a premium to US buyers wanting to use on T-Mobile. At least, I assume that they (overseas versions) would be unlocked, since there is no Cingular partner overseas.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
opus_az

opus_az has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, my first impulse is to want one right away. But then I remember I'm continuously annoyed at phones that compromise reception and basic phone features for bells and whistles. I still miss my StarTac. If the iPhone is a phone first and the features build upon a solid phone foundation I'll be impressed.

But, daaang, that thing is pretty.

iMac, MB, MB Air, nano
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1350 View Post
I don't think there has ever been a cell phone that I just HAD to have...until now. 6 Months to wait...uhg....
I feel the same way! I have never gotten this excited about any product before (other then a Mac itself) but my excitement is tempered by 1) The cost and 2) Having to switch to Cingular.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan828 View Post
Well, not being a fan of DRM, I don't buy from iTunes so that's not particularly an issue for me. Buy CDs and rip them for better quality and greater control over your music...but that's just me.
I hear you there and, personally, I'm the same. However we're talking about Joe Average here...

Quote:
But don't get me wrong, I'd love to throw away $500 on one of these It just doesn't look like that I'll be able to get one befor 2009, at which point it'll likely be in gen 2 and a bunch of other companies will be competing directly with it. shrug.
I think I am in the same boat. All other things being equal, it'd be nice to have this - I just looks lovely - but competition is a fine thing and Apple have yet to prove themselves in a market where competition is fierce and there are no real standards yet. It'll be interesting to see how they leverage iTunes to gain market share.

Watch out for Microsoft - they're never far behind a good idea... :spook:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus_az View Post
Yeah, my first impulse is to want one right away. But then I remember I'm continuously annoyed at phones that compromise reception and basic phone features for bells and whistles. I still miss my StarTac. If the iPhone is a phone first and the features build upon a solid phone foundation I'll be impressed.

But, daaang, that thing is pretty.
I miss my Sony Z5

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
hotskate

hotskate has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15 Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD

will this come out for Verizon?
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteYfz

does anyone think that if you buy it from the apple store, that there will be a apple care option?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« is it me, or are the rumors section slow? iphone has been announced | iPhone software »