New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

I don't think there has ever been a cell phone that I just HAD to have...until now. 6 Months to wait...uhg....
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
They have an exclusive contract with Cingular for the first 2 years so there is no possibility of the phone on any networks until June of 2009
That sucks. I just switched from cingular and the SOBs are trying to charge me an early termination fee and the final month's service charge because I changed service (the company I work for is now paying my cell phone bill) 5 days before the contract was up. I'm never going back to those jerks, so it looks like it'll be a couple of years before I get one. If then. :bandage:
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

I'm sure there will be a zillion questions, so here is zillion +1 Is there any mention of PDA type apps? I currently use a Treo 650 but would give it to my wife if this phone also is a PDA.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

is it just me or was this a BAD BAD move on apples part? the iphone only working with cingular for atleast the first two years. to only support one provider in my opinion is dumb.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteYfz

WhiteYfz is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodorsean View Post
is it just me or was this a BAD BAD move on apples part? the iphone only working with cingular for atleast the first two years. to only support one provider in my opinion is dumb.

agreed.. they should just sell it outright from the apple store and let the buyers put their sim card in it..
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Cingular probably paid apple a lot of money for the exclusive rights to it, and they wouldn't demand to cripple the phone like verizon would. Sales will still be very high for a first generation specialty product, and apple will be doing very well with the money from cingular.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I guess that's just how it's done in the cell phone world. Most phones are with only 1 provider for a year or 2. And even then (I'm thinking of the motorola v60 series and razr), when they are with multiple carriers, some carrier's versions are better than the other. I think Verizon had the razr 1st, but when cingular got it, verizon got an updated version with more bells&whistles than cingular's version. they may be even now...I'm talking a few years ago.

It's been my experience that they are all pretty much equal...you trade one problem for another. Who's signal is better just depends on where you are.

Now, with iPhone...that is one sleek interface. I'm really impressed with Apple. They know how to design a GUI. Not sure I like their new name - Apple, Inc. Now its too much like the record label. All their products are still computers or computer software/peripherals, even the phone. It's a specialized computer, but it's still a computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Nagger Pumper

Nagger Pumper will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/
here's another websight that tells you more info and shows you more pics of what it can do.
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteYfz

WhiteYfz is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1350 View Post
I guess that's just how it's done in the cell phone world. Most phones are with only 1 provider for a year or 2. And even then (I'm thinking of the motorola v60 series and razr), when they are with multiple carriers, some carrier's versions are better than the other. I think Verizon had the razr 1st, but when cingular got it, verizon got an updated version with more bells&whistles than cingular's version. they may be even now...I'm talking a few years ago.

It's been my experience that they are all pretty much equal...you trade one problem for another. Who's signal is better just depends on where you are.

Now, with iPhone...that is one sleek interface. I'm really impressed with Apple. They know how to design a GUI. Not sure I like their new name - Apple, Inc. Now its too much like the record label. All their products are still computers or computer software/peripherals, even the phone. It's a specialized computer, but it's still a computer.
Cingular had the razr first .. i remember that.. but i am also impressed with the phone.. and its not like they made other phones before.. this is their first.
QUOTE Thanks
snikro

snikro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11

This thing is really cool, can't wait to watch the keynote. :black:
QUOTE Thanks
Nagger Pumper

do you think they will make hard covers for it like ipods ?
QUOTE Thanks
opus_az

opus_az has a spectacular aura about

Haven't seen the back of it yet, or if there'll be a cradle.

iMac, MB, MB Air, nano
QUOTE Thanks
Nagger Pumper

the back is just like an ipod, i think it has the apple logo as well
QUOTE Thanks
dan828

dan828 is a jewel in the roughdan828 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPad 32 GB 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1350 View Post

Actually, I think it's mostly just the US that is stuck the "you've got to put up with whatever the cell companies dictate" problem. I think that EU regulations prevent providers from locking phones or refusing to use other compatible phones people got elsewhere.

After the initial OMG I WANT ONE reaction, a scan through the specs shows that it's pretty much all been done before (except maybe the multi-touch thing). Now I'm sure Apple is going to do an outstanding job with it, but ultimately, how is it really going to be that much better than what is already on the market? mp3 playback, third party apps, and the rest is all functionallity that is already currently on the market. So does Apple really expect to ship 10 million units through Cingular only, when they have other smartphones on the market at a cheaper price? Particularly when companies that ship their fist model cell phones notoriously have problems with them. Maybe Apple will get it right the first try, but I'm expecting at least minor bugs for the first few months. We'll see I guess. But with my current contract and my disdain for cingular (see above post), I won't have one of these for some time. Not until 2nd gen at least the way things look.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

It will use the same Dock connect as the iPod

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« is it me, or are the rumors section slow? iphone has been announced | iPhone software »