New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Why my iPhone 4S run slower now, what should i do?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JimmyWalt

JimmyWalt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21" iMac i5, iPad 2, iPhone 4S

my iphone 4s run slowly now, but it's not before. why this happen? and what should i do?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Maybe you could tell use why you think it is running slower. For example...what was installed or updated to make you think that it is running slower.

Also...how full is your iPhone?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
JimmyWalt

iPhone 4S 16G, and there are some games install on. everytime i restore it from backup it would run faster at first days. but several weeks it still run slowly! especially when i play with games!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try powering it off and back on once in awhile.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Close down all your Apps when you have finished with them. Double Click the Home button, brings up the Multi Tasking tray, and flick up the Apps to close them in iOS 7 and in a lower iOS, hold until they shudder and tap the cross.
You could have 20 Apps open using up the RAM in the phone, which like a computer would make it slow.

Make sure you have all the latest updates as well.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
JimmyWalt

i spend much of time to find a answer, when i googling i find someone talk about 'other' file on iphone. then i connect my iPhone with iTunes, just find about 3GB of other files.
i think maybe these files make my iphone work slowly!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Close down all your Apps when you have finished with them. Double Click the Home button, brings up the Multi Tasking tray, and flick up the Apps to close them in iOS 7 and in a lower iOS, hold until they shudder and tap the cross.
Now I know why you have those three stars! I didn't realize how many apps I had open on my 5c until I double clicked the home button. Would you believe I had between 10 and 15 apps open at once. Closed them all with the flick up move. Maybe my battery will last a bit longer...

Thanks Brent, good tip for a new iPhone user like me.
QUOTE Thanks
JimmyWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Thanks Brent, good tip for a new iPhone user like me.
Who is Brent?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyWalt View Post
Who is Brent?
"Brent" is "TattooedMac"...the MacForums member who suggested closing all open apps.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
JimmyWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
"Brent" is "TattooedMac"...the MacForums member who suggested closing all open apps.

- Nick
OK, thank you.
Brent
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
You could have 20 Apps open using up the RAM in the phone, which like a computer would make it slow.
There is a lot of misperception about how iOS works and manages its resources. Most apps are automatically paused in the background and eventually closed completely if iOS decides it needs the RAM that app is using. The list of apps in the launch tray is NOT a list of all open apps. It's a list of recently used apps, in the order they were last opened, and not necessarily actually open anymore. An extremely simple way to verify this is to open one of the apps that is further back in the list. Does it take time to re-launch (showing, say, a progress meter or splash page), or does it almost immediately show that it has been "paused"? If it is re-launching, then it's not open.

Here's a good explanation:
How multitasking really works on Android and iOS | ExtremeTech

More details:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitasking_(iOS)
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

One additional note: micromanaging the apps running in that tray risks increasing your battery drain. An app that is in a proper "paused" state uses no or virtually no battery power and resuming from paused is much more energy efficient that re-launching it from scratch.

Back to the OP's problem... doing a hard reset once every couple weeks may help (notice... if you do a full hard reset, all those apps are still in the tray!). What part of the problem could be is too little free space. If the iPhone is chock full, then there may not be enough free space for caching and temporary files. Here's how to check:
Running out of storage space on your iPhone or iPad? Here's how to fix it! | iMore

EDIT: Here's a good article with some tips on how to improve performance in iOS 7 on older devices:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-sp...-older-device/
QUOTE Thanks
JimmyWalt

also someone say after upgrade iphone 4s to iOS 7, it will run slower than when iOS 6. what about this?

Last edited by bobtomay; 04-30-2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: link and references removed
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:

also someone say after upgrade iphone 4s to iOS 7, it will run slower than when iOS 6. what about this?
It's very possible. Older hardware + latest iOS can sometimes mean slower performance. I have heard some folks mention slower performance with this combination. But if you want the features of iOS 7...then you have to upgrade or get an iPhone 5.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
I had iOS 7 on my 4S before upgrading to a 5S. It was a little more sluggish than iOS 6 was, but I didn't think it was unbearably so. What are you running anyway? I don't think you mentioned yet. And just how much space is being used for apps, photos, etc? How much free space do you have?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone 4 and IOS 7.1.1- Lag? | Queueing text-messages »