New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Where's the microphone option please?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rainbowcat

rainbowcat is on a distinguished road

I have a 4S, and love it - small size is great. Friend has a 5S and I was trying to show him how to text with the microphone option on the keyboard, but I don't see it on the 5S; is it gone, or is it something we need to set up? I love having the microphone on the keyboard on my 4S, and can't imagine that Apple killed off that key?
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Siri can send texts.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Would try looking at the keyboard again.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
rainbowcat

I'm looking at the keyboard, and believe me, the little microphone ain't there! It's not my phone, so I can't fool with it too much. If it's supposed to be there he may have to make a trip to Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Are you in Messages when you look at the keyboard? It morphs to fit the app. The mic is just to the left of space.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It's there by default - have no clue what/if any setting would remove it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

rainbowcat is talking about the dictation option, which appears in *any app that supports it* on the iPhone 5 and later.

By default, it is OFF in iOS 6, and has to be turned on following these instructions:
How to activate and use Voice Dictation via the iPad and iPhone onscreen keyboard | The Spectronics Blog

It is on by default in iOS 7, and I'm not aware that it can be turned off (but of course if you don't want to use it, just don't use it).
QUOTE Thanks
rainbowcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
rainbowcat is talking about the dictation option, which appears in *any app that supports it* on the iPhone 5 and later.

By default, it is OFF in iOS 6, and has to be turned on following these instructions:
How to activate and use Voice Dictation via the iPad and iPhone onscreen keyboard | The Spectronics Blog

It is on by default in iOS 7, and I'm not aware that it can be turned off (but of course if you don't want to use it, just don't use it).
Thanks Chas! He is running iOS7 on his iPhone 5S, but can't get the microphone to appear. Guess he has to take the phone into the Genius Bar.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Heart Monitor | Haven't they got the message yet? »