Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro OS 10.11.1, iPhone 5s iOS 9.2, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2, iPod Classic 80Gb
    Haven't they got the message yet?
    Reading my Melbourne news on line in Indonesia I am surprised the number of house breakins where iPhones are stolen.
    As the criminal element is pretty quick to pick up on trends re security why would they bother. iOS 7 made it almost impossible to erase or restore a second hand iPhone without login code and Apple ID not to mention fingerprint recognition. Maybe useful for parts but surely next to worthless for that. Why bother?

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    As the criminal element is pretty quick to pick up on trends re security why would they bother.
    This assumes that most do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    iOS 7 made it almost impossible to erase or restore a second hand iPhone without login code and Apple ID not to mention fingerprint recognition.
    Only if these features are available (TouchID for example) and enabled. Security tools are only as good as their use.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    EXACTLY. Friend of mine had his MacBook Pro stolen right out of his house as he slept (forgot to lock the door). Did he have find my Mac turned on? OF COURSE NOT. Password on when the machine goes to sleep? DON'T BE SILLY. A recent backup? PSHAW.

He's learned an expensive lesson, suffice to say.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro OS 10.11.1, iPhone 5s iOS 9.2, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2, iPod Classic 80Gb
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    EXACTLY. Friend of mine had his MacBook Pro stolen right out of his house as he slept (forgot to lock the door). Did he have find my Mac turned on? OF COURSE NOT. Password on when the machine goes to sleep? DON'T BE SILLY. A recent backup? PSHAW.

He's learned an expensive lesson, suffice to say.
    Oh well, I guess they are still worth stealing. Silly me, I just thought people would avail themselves of the simple security measures Apple practically forces on us. I friend of mine in Melbourne had his iPhone stolen at a petrol station took his wifes iPhone to the police, showed them his phone on Find My Device and they followed the signal to a local house where they found $10,000 + worth of other stolen property, drugs and weapons.
    Bit of a feel good story that but that was before iOS7 an I didn't think the average crim was that stupid.
    If you were helped by this forum please add reputation points to that member by clicking on the "Thumbs Up" icon, bottom left corner of each thread. (Yes I know it's small)

Thread Information