New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

How does everyone feel about the rumored new larger iPhone 6?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

simonvee

simonvee is an unknown at this point

I personally think the iPhone 5 screen size is ideal. I've owned a Samsung S4 before, but sold it because I thought it was too big for the pocket but 'big' is somewhat subjective.

How does everyone feel about the new 4.7 and 5.5 inch screen?

Last edited by simonvee; 04-17-2014 at 10:04 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
How does everyone feel about the new 4.7 and 5.5 inch screen?
Since we don't know for sure what the iPhone 6 will look like or what size its screens will be, it's difficult to comment. All I know is that my iPhone 5c is large enough as it is and anything larger will be more of a burden to carry around.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I've seen the big Samsungs. Just. Say. No. The 5s I have is just about perfect size.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You know, when I got my first 5 inch device, I thought it was much too large. I thought it was bulky and it felt really odd in my hand. Now however, if you tried to give me an iPhone 5/5s or an equivalent sized phone, I'd think you gave me a phone designed for children (in size only, that's not a criticism of the phone quality or software). I can just about guarantee that if Apple released a larger iPhone, you'd grow to love it and never want to go back. Indeed, I now feel the same way you each feel about a 5" device - you want to give me a 4" device? Hmm, no, I'm good.

To each their own I suppose. I could be way off but most people I see come to love and grow into the phone. In fact, I tell myself this every time I see a reviewer say "the Galaxy Note 3 is huge but the size is amazing."

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

There's definitely a balance between size & functionality. I remember before smartphones (just regular cell phones)...the industry was trying their best to make them as small as possible (you guys should see my cellphone).

Now with smartphones & the display size...it does seem to be the trend to push how big is too big. Or how big is perfect.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
To each their own I suppose. I could be way off but most people I see come to love and grow into the phone. In fact, I tell myself this every time I see a reviewer say "the Galaxy Note 3 is huge but the size is amazing."
For you young fellas it's probably OK, but us poor old guys have a hard enough time wearing heavy shoes let alone carrying around a 5 or 6 inch phone.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Maybe the slightest increase in screen size, but not much. It still has to fit in my pocket and in my hand.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

I have a Samsung Note II. It is huge and I love it. I have a belt pouch for it and have been known to just slip it into a back pocket. In either place it rides well. I love the big screen and I really love the battery life. Even if I use it very heavily all day I have never fallen below 20% at the end of the day.

If the iPhone 6 comes out with a screen size that is close to my Note and a battery that will last at least 12 hours, I will be looking at it for my next phone. I plan to get a new one in November. We shall see.

I would love to have my electronics to be all Apple so they would all play well together.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
For you young fellas it's probably OK, but us poor old guys have a hard enough time wearing heavy shoes let alone carrying around a 5 or 6 inch phone.
First of all, thank you for calling me young, haha. Second, wouldn't a larger screen be more beneficial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Maybe the slightest increase in screen size, but not much. It still has to fit in my pocket and in my hand.
A 5" phone will fit in your hand without issue. I have normal sized hands and this is what my Nexus 5 looks like in my hand:

20140417_235930683_iOS.jpg

I'm not saying that a larger screen size works for everyone but I show that more to show that it's manageable. As always though, to each their own.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
I agree.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

5S is about my limit. I wear non-baggy jeans and anything bigger won't work. I've got room for maybe another 1/4" in length and width on a phone, then things will get uncomfortable. I found my Droid X to be one toke over the line in size.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Those larger screens would be nice for these old eyes.

Maybe I could start carrying a purse to put my phone in.

Naw...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
Exactly! A six inch iPhone isn't that much smaller than my iPad mini, which fits nowhere. I don't want a holster, purse, man-bag or any other tote for a phone. Keep it small, Apple!

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
jt1968

jt1968 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel i7 2.3GHz.

I love the perfect size of my iPhone 5s, and I really don't want a phone any larger.
Unfortunately, I'm finding it increasingly difficult, in my middle age, of focusing while reading a 4" screen (and I was unable to adjust to progressive bifocals), so it is with great reluctance that I will have to embrace a larger phone. If the rumors are to be believed, Apple will release two new sizes - 4.7" and 5.6". I'll have to visit the Apple Store when they come out to see which one will work better for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iPhone 5s 64GB / iPad 4th Gen. 64GB / iPad Mini 2 64GB / MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina Display
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I expect that Apple will continue to sell the existing 4" size indefinitely, as well as a larger one in the near future. And why not? A lot of people obviously like it as it is. It would be simple to support two sizes indefinitely, especially if the aspect ratios are the same. They already support two sizes of iPads, so why not the iPhone too? The big unknown here is what the resolution will be.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Haven't they got the message yet? | iPhone 5s t mobile audio issue »