New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

How to improve your iPhone's battery life

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Found an interesting and informative article on how to improve your iPhone's battery life. The author lists 26 ways to do it. Not all are ones that I could implement but the ones that I did really improved the time between charges; in other words, extended the battery life.

Go thru them and see if you can improve your phone's battery life.

26 ways to improve your iPhone's battery life | Page 20 | ZDNet
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Hey Charlie. With that link…you started us at Idea #20 instead of Idea #1.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

That's definitely a great article. We had implemented quite a few of those suggestions back when my wife was having battery life issues on her iPhone 4S. They definitely made a difference.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely a great article. The wife & I had a little disagreement tonight about her getting home EXTRA late from work (I'm talking 8pm)…and her not sending me a message/heads up about it (I'm waiting to have dinner with her).

Of course the "excuse" (ahem…REASON)…was the iPhone was dead (it really was dead). But I didn't know that till she got home.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Hey Charlie. With that link…you started us at Idea #20 instead of Idea #1.0 - Nick
Yeah, I just noticed that when you mentioned it. I forgot that I was at the end of the article when I copied the bookmark.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Yeah, I just noticed that when you mentioned it. I forgot that I was at the end of the article when I copied the bookmark.
No biggie...just pulling your leg! The wife is going to try some of the ideas on her iPhone...and see how it goes.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Good list, and I reckon this is the most important ~ Adjust human behavior: don't check your phone as much!

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

I had read another good guide a few days ago on improving battery life that was put together by someone who use to work the Genius Bar. One of his tips directly contradicts the recommendation in the first article to always close any apps you aren't using, and explains why. I believe he is correct on this.
The Ultimate Guide to Solving iOS Battery Drain
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Nice article but I disagree with his step 8. My phone is so I can receive calls... by turning off cellular when in weak areas, (airplane mode) I lose that ability. What's the sense of having the phone with me then? (Granted the weak area call may be spotty, but at least I've made contact.) Also, I'm not so sure I agree with his reasoning for not terminating apps. I'll need to test that for myself.

Not everyone uses their phone the same way, so what may work for me may not necessarily work for someone else.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

I liked the last idea...cheat...and buy an external battery!

I think that my wife (the over-prepared person)...has 3-4 of these. Of course she didn't have one of them with her when the iPhone went dead yesterday!!! So sometimes external batteries don't always help (if you don't have it with you).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Nice article but I disagree with his step 8. My phone is so I can receive calls... by turning off cellular when in weak areas, (airplane mode) I lose that ability. What's the sense of having the phone with me then? (Granted the weak area call may be spotty, but at least I've made contact.) Also, I'm not so sure I agree with his reasoning for not terminating apps. I'll need to test that for myself.

Not everyone uses their phone the same way, so what may work for me may not necessarily work for someone else.
Well I think he's talking more about extreme situations where acquiring and maintaining a signal is very difficult to impossible. I think it may be a practical idea when traveling through zones with very poor or no service, or when in a building where you wouldn't be expecting to use your phone anyway. We aren't allowed to use our cell phones at work and mine stays in a locker for 8 or more hours, though I might check it on break. Obviously one should weigh the ups and downs and your immediate situation before implementing that tip.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Voicemail/Greeting Problem on 4S | New Phone »