New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Voicemail/Greeting Problem on 4S

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rainbowcat

rainbowcat is on a distinguished road

Visual Voicemail used to work, now it is "currently unavailable" all of the time. My Greeting has reverted to Default, and although I can record a custom greeting, it won't save. Is this a phone problem, or a carrier (Verizon) problem? How to fix this please?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

When I had my iPhone 4 on AT&T, it would happen routinely and required me to reset or set a new PIN code by calling 611 and I could then re-enable visual voicemail with that pin.

Do you get a similar message when you go to the Voicemail section?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I had the same thing happen to me when I activated a new iPhone 5c on T-Mobile. My old voice mail quit working even though I had the same number and carrier. It was a pain having to set it up all over again but now it's working as before.
QUOTE Thanks
rainbowcat

When I go to change the voicemail pasword, it tells me that voicemail is unavailable and to try later. Later never happens, of course. And I still can't change my Greeting to a custom one.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowcat View Post
When I go to change the voicemail pasword, it tells me that voicemail is unavailable and to try later. Later never happens, of course.
You need to contact Verizon wireless support: 1 (800) 837-4966
QUOTE Thanks
rainbowcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You need to contact Verizon wireless support: 1 (800) 837-4966
Thanks - I had a hunch it was their problem, and not the phone's.
QUOTE Thanks
rainbowcat

Spent an hour on phone with Verizon; they claim it's an app problem from Apple. Will try Apple next...
QUOTE Thanks
rainbowcat

The scoop from Apple - cellular data must be on in order for Visual Voicemail and Custom Greeting to function properly. I turn off cellular data b/c I only have 250MB on my plan, so now I have to closely monitor my usage. I have all apps turned off for cellular, but hope nothing is running in the background that's going to send me over my allotment. Apple rep was very helpful, patient, and sympathetic. His test phone had the same issue, so it's def an Apple app issue. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Thanks for posting back, this is great info for future use. In my case, however, I never turned cellular off since I had unlimited data on AT&T, so the pin code reset always fixed it..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
The scoop from Apple - cellular data must be on in order for Visual Voicemail and Custom Greeting to function properly.
That's interesting. I didn't know cellular had to be on in order for that to work. I keep my cellular data on all the time and don't really worry about it. The phone uses very little data in the background as long as I'm not running an app.
QUOTE Thanks
J-rock

J-rock is on a distinguished road

Perfect thread, got the exact answer i was looking for. thanks guys.
QUOTE Thanks
rainbowcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-rock View Post
Perfect thread, got the exact answer i was looking for. thanks guys.
Everyone here is so expert and so helpful, I'm glad I can contribute a small something!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Phone or SIM failure | How to improve your iPhone's battery life »