New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Do iPhones get hot in use? (Versus Android handsets)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ctrl-Opt-Del

Ctrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really niceCtrl-Opt-Del is just really nice
Mac Specs: Not got one, yet...

The only problem I have with my HTC One (which is otherwise a very capable phone that I'm happy with & serves me well) is that it has a tendency to get warm very rapidly in normal use, and get uncomfortably hot (in excess of 40 degrees centigrade) under heavy use; to the point where it becomes quite literally too hot to handle without a case, and the battery life is accordingly drastically reduced.

I have never personally heard any iPhone-owning family/friends/associates complain about their handset overheating; while I did experience the same problem with the Samsung Galaxy S II (a dire phone, but that's beside the point here) which I had before my current handset. Do iPhones overheat, or is it a problem pecular to Android-powered devices?

I have used both Android and iOS, and have no particular "loyalty" to either; I have only chosen Android phones as they have - so far - always seemed to be better suited to my needs than the iPhone(s) out at the time of my having renewed my contract; so, if the iPhone does indeed have the benefit of more thermally-stable hardware, that could contribute much to my decision-making process the next time I am due to replace my phone.

As an engineering undergraduate I am certainly technically-minded enough to be comfortable with Jailbreaking my phone to regain any Android functions I'm used to that might not be native to vanilla iOS; and I've never used a non-free app so far, so I'd not be sacrifcing any purchases by migrating from the Google Play Store to the Apple App Store.

For my purposes as an engineering undergraduate; Windows is respectable (& generally necessary), Linux is admirable (& often useful), OS X is enjoyable (& requires no further justification, although plenty could be given)!

Last edited by Ctrl-Opt-Del; 03-14-2014 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Correcting typos
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

My wife has an iPhone…and she says that it doesn't get warm/hot while in normal use. But it does warm-up while charging.

Although I do know that there are apps that purposely make the iPhone get warm…as a hand-warmer (serious).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The HTC One has an aluminum case which probably adds to it getting warm as aluminum is an excellent heat conductor. The only time my iPhone (5c) gets warm is when it's charging and then it's barely noticeable. I have to admit the HTC One is a very attractive looking phone.
QUOTE Thanks
DianeVan

DianeVan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15", iPad, iPhone 5

my iPhone 3gs used to get quite warm if I talked for more than 30 minutes (long distance), but not hot. So far haven't noticed the 5 getting more than warm from my hand holding it for so long.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I've never had an iPhone not in a case for more than a few minutes, so I can't say. I have never noticed any heat coming from any iPhone I've owned, but then I don't play a game like Infinity Blade III for hours on end that might cause a significant amount of heat to be generated.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl-Opt-Del View Post
The only problem I have with my HTC One (which is otherwise a very capable phone that I'm happy with & serves me well) is that it has a tendency to get warm very rapidly in normal use, and get uncomfortably hot (in excess of 40 degrees centigrade) under heavy use; to the point where it becomes quite literally too hot to handle without a case, and the battery life is accordingly drastically reduced.
That won't be specific to the One - any phone that sees heavy usage will generate more heat and experience significantly degraded battery life. Adding a case doesn't help either - this will trap in the heat.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I've been caseless on my iPhone 4S and my iPhone 5S. It's been my experience, as said by the others, that you are most likely to see the warmth after charging and from doing anything CPU intensive, like certain games. When traveling, we typically have one of our iPhones on the dashboard running navigation, playing music, and charging. In those cases, the warmth is most noticeable, though the sun beating directly on it may be a factor also. On my old 4S in particular, this was more pronounced when I replaced the shattered back with one made of titanium.

Worth mentioning (if someone knows differently, feel free to correct me on this)... Android phones aren't particularly efficient in terms of processing power and require CPUs that run at a higher clock speed than what Apple uses to get comparable performance. As a consequence, they run hotter.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Worth mentioning (if someone knows differently, feel free to correct me on this)... Android phones aren't particularly efficient in terms of processing power and require CPUs that run at a higher clock speed than what Apple uses to get comparable performance. As a consequence, they run hotter.
I can't speak to the science but this is certainly a logical assumption. The horsepower in an Android device is considerably greater for a flagship phone relative to an iPhone. I don't know how that translates into increased heat production (how much for example0 but it's reasonable to assume that this is a very likely reality.

lifeisabeach also brings up a good point - environment matters as well. Where do you use your phone?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone 5s Microphone Distorts Live Video | iPhone 6 will be a disaster? »