New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Lightning to VGA adapter and iTunes sync does not work

Thread Closed

IIMacGyverII

IIMacGyverII is on a distinguished road

I have an Apple lightning to VGA adapter and it wont sync with itunes. If I use just the USB to lightning cable, itunes works fine but with the adapter in place, itunes wont even see the iphone.

Apple tells me this is not possible but I am trying to use this with my iphone 5 on ios 7.04 connecting to my pioneer deck which pioneer made a kit specifically for this purpose and specifically for this adapter. The pioneer stereo wont see the iphone either which leads me to believe apple changed something.

I have not been able to find any information related to this.

Have any of you been able to sync with the Lightning to VGA or HDMI cables? Thanks.
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I have an Apple lightning to VGA adapter and it wont sync with itunes. If I use just the USB to lightning cable, itunes works fine but with the adapter in place, itunes wont even see the iphone.
Why would you use a video adapter with your iPhone to attach to your Mac or PC in order to sync with iTunes? The USB to Lightning cable is designed for that purpose not the VGA adapter. What is it that you're trying to sync?

As far as your Pioneer stereo not being able to see the iPhone, that sounds like a Pioneer problem, not an Apple iPhone problem.
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Apple is correct... You are not going to sync an iPhone, iPad with iTunes via a VGA port. VGA is not a data port - it is a video port. You are also not going to move data via a VGA port between your computer and an external hard drive, mouse, keyboard, an Android tablet or phone, a Kindle, a camera or anything else.

A lightning to VGA cable is for video output - only.
It will not accept data coming into it.
The VGA port on your computer is also for video output - only.
It will not output any other type of data and it will not accept any data coming into it.
It is not going to do anything except display video on an external monitor, TV, projector, etc.

You are not going to "sync" your phone with your computer via a VGA or HDMI port - period.

Have to guess you're using a Windows computer? Since the last Mac that had a VGA port won't even be able sync with an iPhone 5 at all as it wouldn't be able to run an operating system new enough.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The term "sync" should not be used for the discussion of "video output" from your phone to a monitor or TV. Sync implies much more than merely video output from one device to another.)

Related to getting video from the phone to the Pioneer, you're going to have to provide much more info... What Pioneer model, what kit, has it worked before and has now stopped, it has never worked, this is a new cable - old cable - have you tried connecting the phone and this cable to any other monitor or TV ?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
IIMacGyverII

IIMacGyverII is on a distinguished road

Really? Neither of you know what the Lightning to VGA adapter is. You didn't know before you tried to respond and you didn't even try to look it up. Your response was the same i got from Apple Tech Support, "Of course you can't connect your lightning plug to a vga plug! Thats your problem!" Let me help learn.

Lightning to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

The Lightning to VGA adapter allows you to have a VGA output as well as another female lightning port that you can plug in your Apple Lightning to USB cable.

I admit I didn't understand why the lightning cable wouldn't plug it the VGA adapter because it does plug in to my car exhaust.
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I admit I didn't understand why the lightning cable wouldn't plug it the VGA adapter because it does plug in to my car exhaust.
And with that "brilliant" remark, we're through here.

Thread Closed

« iPhone 3GS no baseband, IMI, WiFi, Bluetooth | How jailbreak unactivated iPhone 5s? »