New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Dust/Spots on iPhone 5 pictures

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

A few months ago I took a picture with my iPhone 5 and noticed several spots on my images. I figured I just needed to clean the lens, but after doing that I'm still seeing spots. I'm not a pro photographer, but it is a hobby and I know how to clean a lens...so I know the problem isn't my cleaning technique.

Here's a picture showing what I'm talking about:

The four out-of-focus grey circles are obvious...but there are also two other spots near the paperclip that are in every picture (those are not pieces of dust on the paper).

How easy is it to take the phone apart and clean the lens from the inside? I've done work on iPhones before and am fairly confident in my ability to disassemble and reassemble the phone...just wondering if it's worth the hassle. The spots are not obvious in most pictures.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

If it is still covered under Apple Care, make an appointment at your local Apple Store and they will replace it for free. I had a spot of dust under my iPhone 5 lens and they swapped it out for me in the store in less than 10 minutes.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
If it is still covered under Apple Care, make an appointment at your local Apple Store and they will replace it for free. I had a spot of dust under my iPhone 5 lens and they swapped it out for me in the store in less than 10 minutes.
I may go by and see what they can do, but it will be a last resort because my phone is jailbroken and I don't want to restore it for the visit to the Apple store...then rejailbreak it when I get back home (assuming they don't replace it). Plus I never buy insurance/warranties on technology. I bought the phone in October of 2012, so I'm sure that whatever warranty it did have has expired.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I bought the phone in October of 2012, so I'm sure that whatever warranty it did have has expired.
The iPhone warranty is for one year unless you purchased Apple Care. However, Apple may replace it for you anyway. But since you're concerned about the jail break and have experience taking the phone apart, you can probably clean the lens yourself. Take apart instructions are available at ifixit.com in case you need them.
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The iPhone warranty is for one year unless you purchased Apple Care. However, Apple may replace it for you anyway. But since you're concerned about the jail break and have experience taking the phone apart, you can probably clean the lens yourself. Take apart instructions are available at ifixit.com in case you need them.
Thanks. I'll check that out....just gotta find one of those pesky pentalobe screwdrivers.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Home Depot and Lowes both sell pentalobe screwdriver sets. I also believe the Ace Hardware Chain sells them but at a slightly higher cost.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« tones,no ringtones | Contact list »