New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iphone into usb port

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hotrod351

hotrod351 is on a distinguished road

my sony indash stereo is about 4 years old but does have the usb ipod port on the front, form what i searched it says i can plug my iphone into it. question is can i, and if i do use this to listen to my music form my iphone will the phone then work threw my stereo, will it interrupt the music to let me know i have a call and will i be able to hear the caller on my car speakers. in other words will it work just like if i didnt have it connected to my stereo. figured that would begreat because id be able to listen to my music without having to try to hear if my iphone is ringing over the stereo.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Short answer no you heed Bluetooth integration for that but most units in the last 3 to 4 years had an add on Bluetooth kit whether it is still available for your model is another question.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

even though it says ipod input.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

That is usually reserved for music only I would have to have your model specific to actually know its capabilities.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

All iPhones automatically mute the music if a call comes in. Contrary to what osxx said, I believe that connecting your iPhone to the USB port through its normal 30-pin (or Lightning) to USB cable should work exactly as you expect it would.

Because my vehicle is old and doesn't have an AUX ⅛" input or a USB input, I use a cassette adapter that goes from my headphone jack to the car stereo. The music mutes when a call comes in, and the sound from the phone is played through my car speakers.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

thats what ive figured chas_m. just been to lazy to go out and try it.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

now to see if it will charge my iphone. i would think so seeing as its for a ipod connection.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« US iPhone 4s in Europe | iPhone 4s Won't connect to Wifi »