New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

cannot restore backup to iphone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bjmini

bjmini is on a distinguished road

I've had an iphone 4 since they first came out and finally decided I would upgrade it to IOS7. I did a backup through itunes, installed the new IOS and then tried to restore my backup to the device. Itunes went through the motions then at the very end it said "...could not restore ___ because of an error". It didn't give a number for the error message. I did a lot of internet searching, tried it many times, even loaded itunes on another computer and tried that too, with no luck.

I figured I had had the phone for a long time and deserved a new one so today I went to the ATT world headquarters and got a new iphone 5s. I plugged it into my computer and tried to restore the data. Itunes went through the motions, and at the end gave me the same error message. So I've gotten the same error message many times, with 2 different IOS devices on 2 different computers. I don't understand what the problem is or what I can do to get my data restored.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You very likely have a corrupt backup stored in iTunes. No telling how it happened? Did you also backup to iCloud? If you have no iCloud backup and the iTunes backup is corrupt, there's nothing you can do but re-download your apps and music from the iTunes store. You will not have to pay for them again. If you had apps from other than the iTunes store, you may be out of luck.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Actually, iTunes probably has multiple backups of your iPhone 4, so maybe restore from an older backup than the most current one and see if that fixes the issue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone 4s Touchscreen Not Working. | iPhone sync »