New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Quick way to tell the difference between an ipod and iphone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

usingmac

usingmac is an unknown at this point

I am a teacher and I do not allow texting in my classroom. However, sometimes when I think I'm catching a kid texting, they're actually looking at songs on their ipod. The two tools look exactly the same from a distance. Even up close its hard to tell the difference. What can I do about this?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

About the only way to tell the iPod Touch and iPhone apart are that the former is significantly thinner than the latter and is missing the metallic antenna on the surround. However, if the iPod/iPhone is in a case, you won't be able to see the antenna anyway and it might not be easy to how thin or thick the device is either..

The only policy to prevent this might be a blanket no electronics policy..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
usingmac

usingmac is an unknown at this point

What is the ipod "touch" exactly? Is it different from a nano and do they still make nano's?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

A Touch is like an iPhone but does not make Phone Calls. It's a iPod that plays music with everything else the iPhone has except Cellular ability.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

They do make iPod Nano's and the latest generation is a narrow tall thing that is distinctly different than the iPhone. The iPod Nano's, however, can't text or do any of those things..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by usingmac View Post
I am a teacher and I do not allow texting in my classroom. However, sometimes when I think I'm catching a kid texting, they're actually looking at songs on their ipod. The two tools look exactly the same from a distance. Even up close its hard to tell the difference. What can I do about this?
Well you cannot tell the difference from a distance - like on airplanes, you need to enforce the students to turn off all of their mobile devices, or if you're in the 'Old West' and entering a bar, then the devices have to be checked in before entering the class -

BUT, in all honesty, this is becoming a MAJOR problem - I don't think that these devices should be allowed in school - an extremist view, I guess, however what other choices are there to prevent this distraction from learning? Just my opinion - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
BUT, in all honesty, this is becoming a MAJOR problem - I don't think that these devices should be allowed in school - an extremist view, I guess, however what other choices are there to prevent this distraction from learning? Just my opinion - Dave
One which I share. It reminds me when I was a youngster attending school and would bring a comic book to class. Didn't take long before the teacher would confiscate it. That of course was back in the dinosaur age when we didn't have social media.
QUOTE Thanks
Sott3

Sott3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by usingmac View Post
It would hard to tell looking at the phone physically. If you snatch it out of their hands, you can look for the Phone app. Only the iphone will have that. If your school is providing wifi the student can still use the Touch to text or use chat clients.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
One which I share. It reminds me when I was a youngster attending school and would bring a comic book to class. Didn't take long before the teacher would confiscate it. That of course was back in the dinosaur age when we didn't have social media.
Hi Chscag - well I was in HS in the early '60s - transistor radios were just appearing w/ earphones - BOY, I wanted one and picked a model (can't remember which brand) for $35 - a LOT of $$ then (see the inflation in quotes below), but my parents bought it! I LOVED taking it to HS (fit in my pocket) - just used it in study hall, but I should have been paying attention to my classes - OH, the shame -

Well, I still got into the University of Michigan, so did OK - LOL at the moment - Dave
Quote:
What cost $35 in 1962 would cost $262.09 in 2012
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hi Chscag - well I was in HS in the early '60s - transistor radios were just appearing w/ earphones - BOY, I wanted one and picked a model (can't remember which brand) for $35 - a LOT of $$ then (see the inflation in quotes below), but my parents bought it! I LOVED taking it to HS (fit in my pocket) - just used it in study hall, but I should have been paying attention to my classes - OH, the shame -

Well, I still got into the University of Michigan, so did OK - LOL at the moment - Dave
Same here. Besides the transistor radios a couple of friends and I built Heathkit Walkie Talkies and took those to class and talked when the teacher was not looking. My science teacher took it away once till the end of the class and gave it back! Grin

I agree best way to be sure if it's an iPhone or Ipad if you can't tell the thinness is demand to see it and check for the phone app.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sorry, but I don't see that there is any difference between texting and looking at the songs on a mobile device during class. Unless one of them is an assignment.

And, an iPhone has iPhone printed on the back side of it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Same here. Besides the transistor radios a couple of friends and I built Heathkit Walkie Talkies and took those to class and talked when the teacher was not looking. My science teacher took it away once till the end of the class and gave it back! Grin

I agree best way to be sure if it's an iPhone or Ipad if you can't tell the thinness is demand to see it and check for the phone app.
LOL! - we were all scoudrels even back a half century ago! BUT, this current texting/phoning practice by the younger population has become a MAJOR concern and has to be addressed - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Totally agree Dave and agree completely with Bobtomay. Unless they are looking something up for class or classwork, they should not be doing music or chatting or anything.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I am definitely not anti-electronics in the classroom, but students should be doing neither texting nor "looking up songs on their iPod." Both would indicate that their attention is, at best, divided.

There are two things I think have to become standard rules in classrooms:

1. Electronics cannot be used in class when the teacher is lecturing. Period.
2. Teachers need to be sure they aren't boring. You want kids to listen to you, be compelling.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Yeah that... I just took my transistor radio in. Had one subject that I listened to the radio &/or slept through for several years and never did a single homework assignment. The teachers were using a curve back then by having tests with 110 points on them instead of 100. Those teachers let me get away with it because I averaged 105-110 on their tests. Was not a good thing and they should have taken it away from me - finally caught up to me when I hit Trig.

Use to get those mid term grading reports sent home to have my parents sign - Pays Attention in Class, None; Homework Assignments Missing, All; Average, Excellent... That was pretty funny to me back then...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone sync | Apple Recycling Program -- different amounts for two of the SAME MODEL iPhone?? »