New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 5s Walmart Black Friday

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

corysold

corysold is on a distinguished road

I'm looking to switch from a Sprint iPhone 4 to a pre-paid iPhone 5s or 5c. If I purchase a 5s or 5c at Walmart on Black Friday and select a Verizon 5s or 5c, can I then pay $114 for 5s (with gift card) upfront or $-35 for 5c, the $350 ETF and $36 activation and have a 5c or 5s unlocked and able to use on any of the Verizon or AT&T pre-paids?

Sorry if this is confusing, it is confusing to me too. I wasn't going to spend full price for 5s at $650+, but I would spend $500 this deal works out to if it works like I think it does.

Is the 5c unlocked the same as the 5s, as I could get a 5c for $351 in this scenario?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I can't answer your other questions but if you purchase a Verizon iPhone 5s or 5c pre-paid you can not use it with AT&T or T-Mobile. You'll need to ask the customer service rep at Wal-Mart about your other concerns.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

The Verizon iPhone 5S is fully unlocked and can be used with a GSM SIM within the US. There are no restrictions on the 5S (Verizon model only).

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

@John:

Are you sure the Verizon 5s or 5c is unlocked? When I checked with Verizon they told me it could be unlocked after the contract was fulfilled. I know that as long as it is locked, you can not use a GSM sim card in it. Or maybe I'm confusing a subsidized iPhone with one that's pre-paid?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light

One thing that I can tell you is that the on contract 5S is unlocked . I have not tried with a 5C, but I can have my daughter try with hers. Verizon will not tell you that it is unlocked, but it is. Does VZW offer a pre-paid 5S package?

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK, maybe Verizon doesn't want you to know it's unlocked because they definitely told me that I would have to complete my contract before they would unlock a 5s or 5c. Which is why I decided not to get one from them. They do have pre-paid for the 4s and 5 which they sell thru various vendors, at least around here. I haven't seen a 5s or 5c pre-paid from Verizon. I'm not sure, but I think T-Mobile offers a pre-paid plan for the 5s.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
OK, maybe Verizon doesn't want you to know it's unlocked because they definitely told me that I would have to complete my contract before they would unlock a 5s or 5c. Which is why I decided not to get one from them. They do have pre-paid for the 4s and 5 which they sell thru various vendors, at least around here. I haven't seen a 5s or 5c pre-paid from Verizon. I'm not sure, but I think T-Mobile offers a pre-paid plan for the 5s.
I agree they don't want you to know as they want your $$$. I'm going to PM you a link to another site that really goes into detail on the subject and can really answer some questions. I know there was some FCC wrangling that changed a few things with Verizon, and I will try to dig up that info.

QUOTE Thanks
corysold

corysold is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies.

For a bit of clarity, my intent would be to by a contract Verizon 5s. Then cancel the contract and pay the ETF. At that point, I'd have a Verizon 5s, which my understanding is would be unlocked, for $500 rather than $649. I'd then put in a sim for a pre-paid like Straight Talk, Net10 etc. and use that service, rather than the more expensive Verizon.

I'd basically just be trying to save some money with the Black Friday deal.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corysold View Post
Thanks for the replies.

For a bit of clarity, my intent would be to by a contract Verizon 5s. Then cancel the contract and pay the ETF. At that point, I'd have a Verizon 5s, which my understanding is would be unlocked, for $500 rather than $649. I'd then put in a sim for a pre-paid like Straight Talk, Net10 etc. and use that service, rather than the more expensive Verizon.

I'd basically just be trying to save some money with the Black Friday deal.
I very much doubt this scheme is going to work. By buying a Verizon iPhone on contract, they will almost certainly lock it. If you pay the ETF, my guess would be that you will have to pay a hefty fee to get it "factory unlocked" so that it can be used with other carriers.

If the phone has a return period or cancellation period where you can get out of the deal, by all means get one, try it with a friend's SIM card and see if you can connect to AT&T or T-Mob. But don't get stuck in a deal you can't get out of that doesn't accomplish what you want.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

The Verizon phones are not locked, so there is no factory unlock or hefty fee that applies here. The Verizon iPhone is the best one to get as it will work anywhere with the exception of Sprint (who cares) right out of the box.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So Credo Has the iPhone | transferring video from Iphone to CD or another Mac or Pc? »