New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Losing Fingerprint function on IPhone 5S

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

painaj

painaj is on a distinguished road

Has anyone had trouble with the iPhone maintaining it's fingerprint functionality? Can't maintain the function for more than 48 hrs then must use our password instead.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Had mine quit once thus far.

NOTE: Are you restarting the phone? Every time you power off and power on, you will have to enter your password again before the fingerprint function will work. Also, after an update to iOS 7.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

This is a security feature. If you don't use your fingerprint to unlock the iPhone at least once every 48 hours, it will require a password.

iPhone 5s: About Touch ID security
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

painaj never came back, apparently, but I'm seeing a degradation of fingerprint recognition over time. If I delete the fingerprint and re-initialize, then it works fine for a while (up to about a week), and then it starts to miss and eventually refuses to open at all without the password. What I've noticed is that if I register three fingers, and I start with, say, my thumbprint, then after about a week it stops recognizing the thumb. At that point I switch to the index finger and get another week then the middle finger and get another week and then I have to re-initialize them all all over again. Anybody else seeing the decay?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have not needed to re-initialize.

What I have seen - taking a second touch to open.

QUOTE Thanks
scoocum

scoocum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina

Have had mine for about three weeks now and haven't had any issues with it. Good to know about the 48 hour thing though.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Jake: I have heard other reports of this behaviour. I am told that Apple is looking into it. It doesn't seem to affect all iPhone 5s owners, however.
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Yosemite

I use the finger print capability on my phone (purchased on day 2 of the phone being available) and it works fine. Sometimes you need to try a digit more than once but it always works. Same for my missus who has had hers slightly less time.

One thing to keep in mind - as I understand it, the sensor continues to learn the prints on your fingers, so if you try digit 1 and it doesn't work, then use digit 1 again and if it is recognised the profile of digit 1 is expanded. The natural corollary of this is that: if you use digit 1 and it asks you to try again then you do that with a different digit then you will confuse the system over time.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of

@dbm, I understand what you said, but I don't think the logic works. Say I try my thumb first and it doesn't read. If I move to my index finger, the system won't continue to compare to my thumb because of the obvious mismatch. It should move to the rest of the stored digits, finding my index as previously scanned and open. If, in fact, it is updating the thumb based on the index, then the software is totally screwed up.

@chas_m, I had heard of others complaining, so maybe I'll call Apple tomorrow to see what they have to say. I reprogrammed it the day I made the post about it (two days ago) and it's already failing 50% of the time to the point where it forces me to enter the passcode. Not much use to me.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'm not having any issues myself, but I have read of reports that some people are. I use one of my thumbs almost exclusively, so maybe that's a factor?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Initial reports were that there is some percentage of people this particular scanner will not work with (am guessing that would include "reliably over a period of time") - could be yours is one of those. Will be interested to see what Apple has to say.

I've been using one finger only also - just changed that a few days ago so that I can open it with either hand.

QUOTE Thanks
dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Yosemite

For reference, I have four fingers stored and can use any of them successfully. I make sure to complete the process with the same digit if the first attempt doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

Well, a reprogram of all fingers worked for 4 days, then lost one finger altogether. Continuing to try ends up at the keyboard and refuses any further input. If I change fingers, it opens about 50% of the time. Haven't yet talked to Apple because I keep reading about how successful other are, so I just keep trying it, and it keeps failing.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Saw this recently and hope it will help some of you:

Troubleshoot Apple's Touch ID fingerprint reader | Macworld
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Another thing to add to some of those tips - during the initial scan - I purposely do not put my finger on the button at the same position/angle any two times - I make it work for the recognition - I reposition, use the side of my finger, and tilt in all sorts of angles.

One thing I've found that I have not been able to get to fail:
Being use to entering a code - finally noticed I had this habit of pressing the button and in the same motion lifting my finger off the button a tiny bit, then putting my finger back on the button - this is when I notice I had to lift and touch it a 2nd time to recognize it - by making sure after pressing I do not remove my finger from the button - thus far, this has functioned first time every time and opens a lot faster.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone and iTunes | why no pic transfer occuring from iphoto, itunes then iphone 4s? »