New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Wifi problem with iPhone and iPad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Turok777

Turok777 is on a distinguished road

My iPad and iPhone refuse to connect to the internet unless my laptop is not only connected to the internet and within proximity, but has a web page open. What do I do?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Hello & welcome to the forum! Boy, that description does sound weird & confusing, but you'll need to provide some further information: 1) Is this your 'home' network? 2) If so, what is your setup, i.e. cable or DSL modem + router? 3) What laptop are you using (need specs including OS)? 4) How is the laptop getting the internet, i.e. cabled to router or Wi-Fi? and 5) Does the iPad and/or iPhone connect to the internet using other networks? Please provide this information which will aid in giving you more directed advice - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Turok777

Turok777 is on a distinguished road

This computer is the only computer I use, so no network, I use a wireless router to connect my devices, and as for the apple products connecting to other internet, yes they do. My computer is a simple 2012 windows 8 laptop with an AMD E-300 APU with Raedon(tm) HD Graphics 1.30 GHz processor, and a 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm going to take a stab here.... Is your Windows 8 notebook computer setup to provide internet sharing? Or setup as a "hot spot"? Because it sounds like your Win machine is providing the WiFi signal to your iPad and iPhone. Another question would be is your WiFi setup at home encrypted - WPA, WPA2?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone Qi-enabled battery extender | Problems with iPhone voicemail... »