New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 5 at gym?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Checco

Checco has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac Mid-2011 ~ 15" MBP Mid-2012 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 5 16GB

Hi guys,

I gym quite a bit and am currently using my iPhone 5 to listen to music while training. I was using an iPod Though 4th gen until recently, but I gave it to my business partner as he dropped his and needed something compatible with his music docks.

I'm about to change my training program that'll require me to log activity throughout the workout on an iOS app and there are a couple of things worrying me about using the iPhone. For some additional background, I use a Cygnett case with a screen protector and keep the phone in my pocket. An armband is likely to be too uncomfortable, particularly when training biceps! Here are my concerns:
  1. While I don't do cardio with the phone in my pocket, I do tend to sweat, especially on legs days.
  2. I've seen lots of comments on earphone jacks on Macs dying - what about plugging the iPhone's one almost every day (I use Ear Pods)?

Would it be better to just grab an iPod (Touch) and use that instead? I used my old one at gym without a case or screen protector for over a year without an issue. Somehow it just feels better to use a Touch rather than an iPhone that costs a hell of a lot more...

What do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

If it's just for music I'd pick up a shuffle. Light, robust, cheaper, easy to clip wherever suits your workout.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Thanks for the response and ideal for music alone. I need to run an iOS app though...
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't mention that !

Your iPhone will be fine. You could always select a different case if your concerned about moisture etc

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
You didn't mention that !
I did...but thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

So you did.
I really shouldn't try and read anything before my first coffee of the day

QUOTE Thanks
Checco

I have the same problem!
QUOTE Thanks
Maccabee

Maccabee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MacBook Air (13") w/ max specs

If I were you, I would purchase the following:-
- Bluetooth ear buds
- a decent arm band

Whether you go with iPhone or iPod Touch, Bluetooth ear buds are worth thinking about. Here's a decent pair for $20-ish from Amazon. I love my pair, although those little stick-to-the-ears plastic hoops tend to break. That's OK because you can buy a pack of 6 pairs for $5 (also from Amazon).

DigiFit and MyFitnessPal are good iOS apps insofar as (a) they record your weight, sleep, and measurements; and (b) they can be sync'd to one another and to your heart rate monitor (if you have one). Also, the Bluetooth earbuds can click back & forth through your iTunes tracks if you hold the up/down volume buttons (one or the other) down for 1-2 seconds.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Hey Maccabee, great suggestions, thank you! BT 'phones could be a good way to go, definitely a lot more practical than a 'wired solution'. I'll have to try the armband in a store though, as it may get in the way for certain weightlifting exercises.

I'll be using BodySpace (since it links to my bodybuilding.com profile), but DigiFit looks brilliant for cardio days...
QUOTE Thanks
Joncon

Joncon is on a distinguished road

I use a casemate tough case and my iPhone 5 has never had any problems with my copious sweating attempting to run and gym ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
Checco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncon View Post
I use a casemate tough case and my iPhone 5 has never had any problems with my copious sweating attempting to run and gym ;-)
My Cygnett Workmate is very similar, so glad to hear all okay in your experience. Just got to put the phone in your pocket with the screen facing outward, i.e. away from your sweaty leg!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 5 not showing music after syncing on iOS7 | Anyone know of a waterproof bluetooth remote for iPhone? »