Specs:
    15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
    iPhone 5 at gym?
    Hi guys,

I gym quite a bit and am currently using my iPhone 5 to listen to music while training. I was using an iPod Though 4th gen until recently, but I gave it to my business partner as he dropped his and needed something compatible with his music docks.

I'm about to change my training program that'll require me to log activity throughout the workout on an iOS app and there are a couple of things worrying me about using the iPhone. For some additional background, I use a Cygnett case with a screen protector and keep the phone in my pocket. An armband is likely to be too uncomfortable, particularly when training biceps! Here are my concerns:

1. While I don't do cardio with the phone in my pocket, I do tend to sweat, especially on legs days.
    2. I've seen lots of comments on earphone jacks on Macs dying - what about plugging the iPhone's one almost every day (I use Ear Pods)?

Would it be better to just grab an iPod (Touch) and use that instead? I used my old one at gym without a case or screen protector for over a year without an issue. Somehow it just feels better to use a Touch rather than an iPhone that costs a hell of a lot more...

What do you guys think?

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone7, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    If it's just for music I'd pick up a shuffle. Light, robust, cheaper, easy to clip wherever suits your workout.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    Thanks for the response and ideal for music alone. I need to run an iOS app though...

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone7, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    You didn't mention that !

Your iPhone will be fine. You could always select a different case if your concerned about moisture etc

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    You didn't mention that !
    I did...but thanks.

Specs:
    So you did.
    I really shouldn't try and read anything before my first coffee of the day

Specs:
    I have the same problem!

Specs:
    Late 2013 MacBook Air (13") w/ max specs
    If I were you, I would purchase the following:-
    - Bluetooth ear buds
    - a decent arm band

Whether you go with iPhone or iPod Touch, Bluetooth ear buds are worth thinking about. Here's a decent pair for $20-ish from Amazon. I love my pair, although those little stick-to-the-ears plastic hoops tend to break. That's OK because you can buy a pack of 6 pairs for $5 (also from Amazon).

DigiFit and MyFitnessPal are good iOS apps insofar as (a) they record your weight, sleep, and measurements; and (b) they can be sync'd to one another and to your heart rate monitor (if you have one). Also, the Bluetooth earbuds can click back & forth through your iTunes tracks if you hold the up/down volume buttons (one or the other) down for 1-2 seconds.

Hope this helps.

Specs:
    Hey Maccabee, great suggestions, thank you! BT 'phones could be a good way to go, definitely a lot more practical than a 'wired solution'. I'll have to try the armband in a store though, as it may get in the way for certain weightlifting exercises.

I'll be using BodySpace (since it links to my bodybuilding.com profile), but DigiFit looks brilliant for cardio days...

I use a casemate tough case and my iPhone 5 has never had any problems with my copious sweating attempting to run and gym ;-)

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Joncon View Post
    I use a casemate tough case and my iPhone 5 has never had any problems with my copious sweating attempting to run and gym ;-)
    My Cygnett Workmate is very similar, so glad to hear all okay in your experience. Just got to put the phone in your pocket with the screen facing outward, i.e. away from your sweaty leg!

Thread Information