New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 5 Online Security

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

I have a layman's understanding of online security issues, and I am confident that my MacBook Pro and Airport wifi are properly protected. However, I have no idea about my iPhone 5.

My question is this:

Is it safe to do things like banking on an iPhone 5? Is it safe to use an iPhone 5 as a personal hotspot for the purpose of doing banking on my laptop?

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.66 GHz OS 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It depends on where you use your iPhone 5. If you're using it at home on your home network which is protected - even as a hotspot, you'll be OK. Again, provided your network is properly protected.

Go into Starbucks and jump on their network.... I wouldn't be too anxious to do business with my bank or anywhere else that involved my money or credit cards... Some folks will tell you it's OK because your bank uses security; well, let them have at it because that won't stop hackers.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

Thanks, cag. However, I think you misunderstood me. I am referring to using my phone, and my data plan, independent of any other network.

Is there a Security setting for iPhone 5? (Like my Airport Extreme is password protected, etc.)

Another way to ask this question: Dies everyone here use their phone for banking and stock trading, etc.?

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.66 GHz OS 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I knew what you meant and was trying to tell you that it depends where and how you use your iPhone 5. Your iPhone 5 is not protected in the same way as your Mac.

Look here for security tips for your iPhone 5: LINK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Siri no longer says, "How Can I Help you?" | Comma after contact name »