New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

How to be a beta tester?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

juanjolainez

juanjolainez is on a distinguished road

Hello!

I'm new at this forum, but i have a lot of thinks to talk about haha.

Do you guys know if there is a program to be a beta test of Apple products? Or even Apps?

I know Android has something like Beta Testing, by Google Groups. Do you know if Apple has something similar?

It would be so cool! Try apps even before they are in the market!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You'd have to contact the developers and get them to provision your device to test apps. Unlike Android development, iOS beta testing is limited since you have to provision devices and Apple limits that number. Therefore, if you're interested in newer/beta versions of apps, you'll have to go straight to the developer.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
juanjolainez

That's bad because I don't know the developers before an app is being launched...
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Im a Beta Tester and have Beta Tested iOS6 and 7, Procreate, 1Password 4 for Mac, Pixel Press (still in the early Alpha stage) and ill be testing The Long Dark for Mac sometime next year, as well as the next upgrade of TextExpander by Smiles Software.
Its a matter of really getting into Social Networking, on FB and Twitter and following your favourite App, and then you get to know the Dev's and you follow them, and you just keep pushing, and pushing and pushing.
Thats what i did/do and thats really how im on the list for the next upgraded TextExpander. . . . You would be surprised at the amount of FREE Mac and iOS Apps i have got over the last 2 yrs. All in all, i have saved $300+
Emails back and forth and Twitter have been my best avenues as FB its out in the Open and i like to be behind closed doors.

Another way is to look at places like Kickstarter, Indiegogo and SellanApp . . . .
The first 2 are crowd funding places and if you back a iOS App or Mac App then they usually have a Beta Testing Pledge and you get in the door that way. Thats how i got Pixel Press and The Long Dark, and because of this, i have become friends with the Devs and ill be on future Beta Testing for other Apps now.

SellanApp is a little different but if you have a App idea, then you can put $ into that App and again, become friends with the Devs.
There is now easy way in, but just keep trying and as i said, if you have a favourite App, follow that App, and the Company on twitter and let them know your there to test if need be. If they are a successful company, then they will be making more Apps, which is more opportunities

Good Luck

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
juanjolainez

Wow! I am impressed TattooedMac, thank you for your answer.

But, do they even pay you for test apps? Or those 300$ are the money you have actually saved from buying them all?

Do you know if there's a community or something to test them? It seems really time-spending in looking for new apps and contacting with developers...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Beta testing is not something you can just jump into with platforms such as iOS (where application distribution is heavily controlled by Apple). You're going to have to actively seek this out - browse the developer's blog, contact them through their official communications channel, follow them on Twitter, etc.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! iPhone4 won't sync suddenly, all storage is "Other"! | Getting photos from Iphone 4G onto MacBook Air »