New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Way too Much "Other" Memory taken on iPhone 5S with iOS 7.0.2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TARDIS75

TARDIS75 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP w/Retina 2.6 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, (Feb 2013 version), 256 SSD & iPhone 5S 64GB, unlocked (& insured).

Anyone know why I have 7.5 GB of "Other" space on my iPhone? I've tried fresh restores multiple times. and I'm not synching iPhoto, or anything. I've also turned off photos sharing and removed as many apps as I can that I think have added data to memory, and still nothing. Oh... and I've done a clean restore, and setting up as a new phone about 5 times now. I've got 414 apps installed, and about 5227 songs on my iphone. I've had to resort to 192 kbs for song quality, which I don't want to do. But it's the only way I get my whole library on my phone. I work in a place that the iCloud Match doesn't work so well, hence I need to load all my music.

Any suggestions on what I should check next?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 7.45.17 AM.png (47.9 KB, 27 views)
QUOTE Thanks
BroCraig

BroCraig is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 12"

Do you have any apps witch save documents? Possibility there. I had that question since my first iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

How do you sync? I've noticed that syncing by WiFi instead of USB cable seems to increase the Other space. You might try connecting to your MBP with USB and syncing that way to see if it helps.

EDIT: What I think is in Other is failed downloads and file transfers plus some cached data. The incomplete files don't get completed and just eat up space. At least that's what I've seen in searching the Internet.

SECOND EDIT: At the iTunes App Store I found a product called iClean for $2.99 that seems to do what you may need. It got pretty good reviews, and some awful ones (Pretty polarized) but I didn't try it myself. No endorsement here, just a result of some searching!

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Look into apps that may save data. For instance, I have the Garmin Navigation app and the maps that I download to the device go into the "other" category. So an app that may save data will repopulate the other field when you do the restore.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Give this a read. Reclaim "Other" storage space on iPad, iPhone and iPod - AppDucate
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« This article, pretty well sums it up, why im into Apple Hardware. . . . And the code. | Trouble with group messaging »