New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Tethering not working with IOS 7 usb

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ryanlabe

ryanlabe is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I'm really frustrated right now that I can't tether using usb connection. I found it to be the most reliable and now I"m stuck using over wifi which I'm not a fan of.

I've search and found fixes that talk about using the kext utility, but this didn't seem to fix the issue either.

can anyone help? To add to this, the Iphone isn't detecting in network settings the way it used to, but is detecting in Itunes. I find that really weird.
QUOTE Thanks
ryanlabe

No one can help me?? I'm really stuck! Now I'm also reading that downgrading back to IOS 6.1.4 isn't even possible?????
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Are you using the iOS' tethering feature, or an app for tethering?

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I've never heard of "USB tethering." I've only ever used tethering to mean taking my iPhone's cellular data and turning it into a Wi-Fi hotspot so that my other devices can connect. Have you tried that?
QUOTE Thanks
ryanlabe

Thanks for your replies,

ESsentially I find that using my iphone as a modem by connecting it to my Macbook via usb is the fastest and most reliable way to create an internet connection. I can successfully use my iphone as a modem via wireless, wehreas my laptop sees the iphone as a hotspot over wireless but not when it's connected directly over usb.

I'm pretty sure if I fix the issue that my Macbook Pro isn't seeing the Iphone in network setttings the way it used to, would fix my usb issue.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Just experimented with it. iPhone USB is showing RED with the phone plugged in (iPhone 4s, IOS7). On the iPhone, I went to settings, cellular and turned ON personal hotspot and the connection turned to GREEN on the MBP. So basically, until and unless the tethering is enabled, USB doesn't see the phone as connected.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
ryanlabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
Just experimented with it. iPhone USB is showing RED with the phone plugged in (iPhone 4s, IOS7). On the iPhone, I went to settings, cellular and turned ON personal hotspot and the connection turned to GREEN on the MBP. So basically, until and unless the tethering is enabled, USB doesn't see the phone as connected.
So this is my issue, I am doing the exact same, except the laptop is still not detecting any IPHONE connected to it ever since the update to IOS 7.

Are you seeing your Iphone in network settings? I have an IPhone modem in my list, but it shows as disconnected even when it's plugged in via usb, and ITunes is seeing it. The Iphone modem is there becuase I used to use it as I was sayign with IOS 6. The MBP keeps all devices that have been used as modems with the settings necessary to connect to the net.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all

Yes, as I said, in Network on System Preferences, there is an entry titled "iPhone USB" and when the iPhone is not connected, or connected but tethering is turned off, it shows "Not Connected." When, on the iPhone, I got to Settings/Personal Hotspot and turn personal hotspot on, in about 3-5 second the network screen on the MBP switches to Connected and the dot turns green. Turn hotspot off on the iphone and it goes back to "Not Connected" and red.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

The actions here are NOT like iTunes, where the device is detected even when not active. In this case, it has to be active as a Personal Hotspot for the connection to be established. iTunes has nothing to do with it.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

Just to be perfectly clear, two screenshots:

iPhone connected by USB cable, but Personal Hotspot OFF--from the MBP System Preferences/Networking

iPhone connnected by USB, Personal Hotspot ON -- from the MBP System Preferences/Networking

Very briefly, between those two, it turned Yellow and showed "No IP Address" as the tether sought an IP.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
ryanlabe

Guys, I'm really sorry if I'm not being clear. My personal hotspot setting has been on since I started this conversation...this is my problem! I'm not getting any connection to the internet like I used to with IOS 6. Before, I would simply plug in my phone to my MBP by usb, ensure I had personal hotspot ON, and away I went, I would ensure my wifi was off so that there was no confusion that I did not want the MBP to connect to ANY wifi, and use the usb tether that I was providing.

It's not doing that anymore... I connect by usb, I ensure hotspot is ON, and nothing. I can't connect. I have to turn on wifi, and tether via wifi which I don't find nearly as reliable as when i'm directly connected over usb.

Again, I apologize for any confusion.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

Well, there aren't a lot of settings beyond the Location choice once it's connected, so about all I can suggest at this point is to delete the iPhone USB from System Preferences/Network and restart the connection process. I am sure you have tried cycling the Personal Hotspot on and off, so at this point it sounds like something in the network configuration on the MBP is messed up. Delete it and try a new setup.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhones Not Selling? | iphone 3g stuck on apple logo »