New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Help: iphone no longer works with iTunes after ios7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kirrwed

kirrwed is an unknown at this point

I have an iPhone 4S. I recently upgraded to ios7 after reading an article that sounded like compatibility wouldn't be a problem.

I was wrong. I plugged it into my G4 laptop, which is running iTunes 10.6.3. And now it can't read my phone. I can't drag MP3s from my laptop to my iphone anymore. How can I remedy this without having to buy a new laptop? I regularly dragged MP3s onto my phone daily from podcasts and whatnot.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

iOS 7 requires iTunes 11. It is likely your G4 is too old to update to iTunes 11.

Always a good idea to research all hardware and software compatibility requirements before upgrades. Especially when you have older model hardware.

I'm sure there are 3rd party apps that will allow you to transfer MP3s to your iPhone. I've never used any, but a simple Google search should turn up a few options.

iCloud will keep your music up to date if they are purchases made from iTunes store.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Actually, iOS 7 requires iTunes 11.1 which you can not install on the G4.....
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrwed View Post
How can I remedy this without having to buy a new laptop? I regularly dragged MP3s onto my phone daily from podcasts and whatnot.
Go back to iOS 6.1.4 and you can for a cetain amount of time, like as they say in this article at Gizmodo ~ Aust. But if you cant restore from iTunes the normal way, you will have to grab the 6.1.4 .ispw from here and then holding option down while you click the restore button in iTunes and navigate to the .ispw you just downloaded.
With old equipment there is always a time where it is stopped being supported and as chscag said, the G4 wont be able to take iTunes 11.1

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

A G4?? It's a miracle your iPhone works with it *at all.* That's at least an 8-year-old computer!

Bottom line: don't even THINK about upgrading iTunes, iOS or your iPhone again until you get a new(er) computer.
QUOTE Thanks
kirrwed

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'm too late on the downgrade according to my research. So it looks like my only hope is 3rd party app. So far, all the 3rd party apps that can put music on an iPhone are not yet compatible with ios7. Does anyone know of one that would be compatible with a G4 and ios7?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Treat yourself to a newer Mac. You deserve it, and you're WAY overdue.

Maybe something from let's say 2007 that can run Snow Leopard, like the lovely BlackBook I used to have. Then you'll still be able to run your outdated software AND support your iPhone/iTunes ecosystem.

Should be cheap enough ...
QUOTE Thanks
kirrwed

Is it possible to put anything higher than OS 10.5 on a MacBook Pro?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Is it possible to put anything higher than OS 10.5 on a MacBook Pro?
Depends on the Macbook Pro..you can most definitely go to Snow Leopard. If it's a Macbook Pro after 2008 or so, a good chance (once you upgrade the RAM likely) you can run Mountain Lion..

Without the exact specs, hard to say what you can and cannot do..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Snow Leopard strongly recommended (assuming the machine you refer to is ACTUALLY a MacBook Pro and NOT a PowerBook ... people get these mixed up all the time for some reason). It's $20 from Apple. That plus the free updates to 10.6.8 will move you from the kids' table to the adults' table, modern computing-wise.
QUOTE Thanks
kirrwed

Paydirt. There is a free app called EXMP3. I installed this on my iPhone. Under the feature "File Transfer," you have the option to select wi-fi or G3. Once it detects how you are connected to the web, it gives you a URL address. You type this URL address into your computer's browser, and it is a page that lets you select MP3s from your computer. It then transmits it to the EZMP3 app. And presto, you can transfer MP3s to your iPhone and play them in the EZMP3 app. No need to buy Apple upgrades yet.

Honestly, the fact that transferring an MP3 you own to a phone you own is not some new technology that should go away with new system upgrades. It's just dragging from a folder to a folder. Apple may or may not have intentionally disabled this simple task in order to get laggers to buy new computers. Why sell the same thing to someone once when you can sell it to them over and over?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

They didn't intentionally disable it -- older software can't take advantage of the new technologies and protocols, may have bugs or more seriously security issues. As pointed out already, a used Mac would have solved the problem, so where's the profit for Apple coming into the equation?

People should really stop being so paranoid ...

Also, as previously pointed out by me an others, a whopping investment of $20 would have fixed that problem AND made your machine work way better. I've never met anyone so opposed to spending such a pittance for what will turn out to be a HUGE benefit (not to mention extending the life of your current computer) in my life ...
QUOTE Thanks
kirrwed

I don't think the issue is quite that simple, Chas. Sure, this particular update could have only cost $20, but what about after that. And what instability issues are there in dragging a file to a folder? Can someone articulate that? Why a new system with new bells and whistles suddenly makes dragging a file from one folder to another difficult? Is Apple above such deliberate things? Suddenly the new ipad have a different cord connector. Every laptop I've ever bought had a different power cord connector. Which is the superior one? Results in a lot of extra sales doesn't it? Because when a cord goes bad, you can't use an old one. If there is legitimate technological reasons for all of these variations and pattern of incompatibility, I'd like to hear it. I never have heard one. Maybe Apple is run by saints who merely look out for the customer. I don't know, but the evidence seems to tilt a certain way to me anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
I don't think the issue is quite that simple, Chas. Sure, this particular update could have only cost $20, but what about after that.
For your machine, there is no "after that." That $20 buys you the latest OS that can be put on that old machine. It's at the end of its life.
Quote:
And what instability issues are there in dragging a file to a folder? Can someone articulate that? Why a new system with new bells and whistles suddenly makes dragging a file from one folder to another difficult? Is Apple above such deliberate things?
It's not just a drag and drop, it's that to support the new features in IOS7 iTunes needed to be updated and Apple chose not to spend the time and money to make that update compatible with OSX 10.5. You are using a very old technology with old operating system and are now being left in the dust of obsolescence.
Quote:
Suddenly the new ipad have a different cord connector. Every laptop I've ever bought had a different power cord connector. Which is the superior one? Results in a lot of extra sales doesn't it? Because when a cord goes bad, you can't use an old one.
No extra sales other than replacing the original cord with a proper matching one, either from the original vendor or a third party supplier. It's hard for my friend with a 1928 Whippet to get parts, too. Technology moves on, parts become scarce because demand drops. It's the price one pays for trying to sustain old tech.
Quote:
If there is legitimate technological reasons for all of these variations and pattern of incompatibility, I'd like to hear it. I never have heard one. Maybe Apple is run by saints who merely look out for the customer. I don't know, but the evidence seems to tilt a certain way to me anyway.
It's called progress. It happens. Serial ports were replaced with USB ports, then USB2, then USB3 plus there were FireWire and Thunderbolt ports as well. Apple is always looking to make the connectors smaller so that the real estate on the outside of the iPhone can be optimized for other things, like the speakers and headphone jack. So the Lightning connector is smaller than the old 32 pin connector. But Apple also makes a converter so that all those older things for the older phones can be connected to the new Lightning port. Yes, you have to buy it, but that's the price of trying to reuse old technology with new.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Suddenly the new ipad have a different cord connector.
I don't have time for most of your tin-hattery, but this one in particular is just ignorant.

Apple introduced the 30-pin dock connector for the iPod in 2003. They kept the same connector for all their mobile devices for over 10 years (in fact you can STILL buy current Apple products with a 30-pin connector ... the iPod Classic and the iPhone 4S among them).

The Lightning connector takes advantage of significant new technologies even if all you personally use it for is charging. Don't hold everyone else back just because your head is still in the sand, okay?

So yeah, "suddenly" Apple is likely to change the connector every 10 years or so. Kinda like the way the PC industry went from serial ports to USB to e-SATA to Thunderbolt. Kinda like the way we went from 8-bit to 32-bit to 64-bit. Like how we went from monochrome to greyscale to 8-bit color to full color, the way we went from Beta to VHS to Laserdisc to DVD to Blu-Ray.

Things change. If you don't like change, there's an area in Pennsylvania that will welcome you with open arms. This has nothing to do with Apple, it's the way the entire world works and has always worked. Unless you're still riding a horse as your main mode of transportation ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphone 3g stuck on apple logo | Will Apple replace my iPhone battery? »