New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Help: iphone no longer works with iTunes after ios7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kirrwed

kirrwed is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
it's that to support the new features in IOS7 iTunes needed to be updated and Apple chose not to spend the time and money to make that update
Can you be a little more specific? It's am MP3 or one of Apple's encrypted music files. What about the "new features" would suddenly render that kind of file dragging from one folder to another null?
Quote:
Apple is always looking to make the connectors smaller
I was referring to the laptops, which have a multitude of different kind of connectors, none of which are saving space over another. Otherwise, in general I would buy the idea that technology tends smaller. Oh, p.s. because OS 10.7+ is not compatible with my MacBook Pro, there is indeed an "after that" beyond $20. Look, if simple tasks weren't suddenly neutered in so many of these updates, I might buy the whole "technology is progressing" idea. Yes, it's progressing, but there's so many other signs that the progression contains deliberate caveats to attach you to a certain company. This is basic profit-seeking motivation. I could go on about sim cards, adapters, etc... But thanks for the tips about archaic pin plugs - that I might believe.
QUOTE Thanks
kirrwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I don't have time for most of your tin-hattery
Well, thanks for taking the time anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrwed View Post
Can you be a little more specific? It's am MP3 or one of Apple's encrypted music files. What about the "new features" would suddenly render that kind of file dragging from one folder to another null?
You missed the point. The changes in IOS7 and iTunes 11.1 don't have to do with dragging a folder (which, by the way, is NOT how music is transferred) but with other functionality of iTunes. What caught you out was the fact that because Apple didn't spend the time and effort to make the new version of iTunes compatible with OSX 10.5 it simply won't run on your old equipment at all. It was a financial decision, to be sure. Apple estimated how many people still run that old equipment and decided the investment of their developer time into that very small population wasn't worth it. Microsoft had made the opposite decision when it first came out with Windows. They decided to continue to support the old 8-bit DOS environment, which led to endless hours of programmer time as they tried to sustain that compatibility into the 64 bit world. Eventually they gave up and abandoned old equipment and software. Apple chooses to abandon old technology faster, which makes them more flexible in adopting new technologies. They changed to Intel, changed the approach to OSX and basically moved into the 21st century. You haven't, so you are being left behind. It's a choice you get to make in a free society, but you then have no basis for complaint when the new stuff doesn't work on your old system.
Quote:
I was referring to the laptops, which have a multitude of different kind of connectors, none of which are saving space over another. Otherwise, in general I would buy the idea that technology tends smaller. Oh, p.s. because OS 10.7+ is not compatible with my MacBook Pro, there is indeed an "after that" beyond $20. Look, if simple tasks weren't suddenly neutered in so many of these updates, I might buy the whole "technology is progressing" idea. Yes, it's progressing, but there's so many other signs that the progression contains deliberate caveats to attach you to a certain company. This is basic profit-seeking motivation. I could go on about sim cards, adapters, etc... But thanks for the tips about archaic pin plugs - that I might believe.
With regard to laptop power cables, just about every laptop has different power requirements, so the cables are deliberately different to prevent naive or careless end users from plugging in the wrong power supply. Now one might try making an argument that all of the laptops should have the same power requirements, but that would lead to every machine having to be packaged with a power supply designed for the most powerful and power hungry laptop, which would drive up the cost of the low end machines. That approach would also prevent any laptop maker from going beyond the power requirement of the existing power supply parameter, limiting future technologies to fit into that power environment. It's like arguing that every car air filter should be the same size and shape so that I don't have to work so hard to get the right one. But that would mean that even small cars would have to have a filter that is designed for the largest car in the market, and that no larger car than then largest filter could ever be built. That's nonsense. So vendors choose to customize the power supply to the laptop and prevent burnouts from wrong power supplies with unique plugs. No mad conspiracy, just simple technology.

And, no, for your equipment there is no "after that." To move forward you need to abandon the G4 and get something more modern that supports the latest OSX, or at least a version that supports the iTunes version required to support the IOS7 iPhone. A smart use of money would be to step up the latest and best technology now, given your apparent propensity to hold on to technology well beyond its "normal" life. If you buy something older and used, it will become obsolete sooner than a brand new system.

Finally, nothing in the free market attaches me to any company, other than my willingness to spend the money it costs to change platforms. I used to have all Windows systems, including hardware and software, but decided of my own free will to change to Apple and its environment. It cost me money to make that change, but again, it was MY decision. I believe I am getting better value for money with that decision. Does Apple want me to stay in their environment? Absolutely! But then again so does Ford, Toyota, Sony, GE, LG and just about every company in the world. But I still have the freedom to choose which products to buy and when to buy them. I may choose to leave Apple for some other product if I think I get better value for money with that new product, but for now Apple wins.

And with that, I'm done. Nice chatting with you.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
kirrwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
just about every laptop has different power requirements, so the cables are deliberately different
Rather than going around and around on the other stuff - if a device's different power requirement requires a different power cable, why are so many other devices just fine with a 3-pronged female plug?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Computers do not run off the ac power that comes out of the socket.
That energy has to be converted to dc power.
That is the job of the power supply.

HowStuffWorks "How PC Power Supplies Work"

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
kirrwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Computers do not run off the ac power that comes out of the socket.
That energy has to be converted to dc power.
That is the job of the power supply.

HowStuffWorks "How PC Power Supplies Work"
Article explains why female end is not 3-pronged, but not why female end of Mac's are so different. Other poster says it requires some custom connector based on how much power each laptop requires, but no details on why a little magnetic connector works for this laptop or a single plug connector works for another or why different size connectors are needed, etc... I'm not too convinced by the Apple apologists here of Apple's sincerity with my full apologies. Part of the problem is you see this with other industries. A new "tech" will come out and it will have the dumbest flaw in it, that just happens to be included in the next version , which in turn will have a new flaw, that will be fixed in the next. And people keep chasing so they can have the latest and not be "left behind....."
QUOTE Thanks
kirrwed

An article from a couple years ago about Apple holding back tech in favor of future updates that will have them.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrwed View Post
An article from a couple years ago about Apple holding back tech in favor of future updates that will have them.
Ill give you one thing. Your a trier !!!

As for the Article, all i saw was speculation that there could be something they have, that they will put in the iPad3. There was nothing concrete in the claims what so ever.
I am also bemused as to why you are going to such lengths about all this. . . . . If it is really that bad, and Apple are just screwing us all over, move on . . . . . And im done

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Almost all companies withhold some feature when a new product is announced. That's not unusual and Apple certainly isn't the first company to be accused of this. Most of the time the issue is that the "new feature/technology isn't ready for prime time.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
iTz inThezone

iTz inThezone has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD not retina xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I don't have time for most of your tin-hattery, but this one in particular is just ignorant.

Apple introduced the 30-pin dock connector for the iPod in 2003. They kept the same connector for all their mobile devices for over 10 years (in fact you can STILL buy current Apple products with a 30-pin connector ... the iPod Classic and the iPhone 4S among them).

Things change. If you don't like change, there's an area in Pennsylvania that will welcome you with open arms. This has nothing to do with Apple, it's the way the entire world works and has always worked. Unless you're still riding a horse as your main mode of transportation ...

Funniest thing i've seen on this forum. Amish............ Lol im dying of laughter
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Part of moving forward requires leaving the past behind and in electronics that pace is getting faster but most of us have accepted it if we want the improvements it has to offer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphone 3g stuck on apple logo | Will Apple replace my iPhone battery? »