New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iphone 4 to IOS 7?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

After doing a lot of reading this evening I have made the decision to not upgrade my iphone 4 to IOS 7. At least for now. It does appear that 7 slows down the i4. I really like the current speed of my phone and it does what I need. At least for now.

Anyone with me on this one?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Pony View Post
After doing a lot of reading this evening I have made the decision to not upgrade my iphone 4 to IOS 7. At least for now. It does appear that 7 slows down the i4. I really like the current speed of my phone and it does what I need. At least for now.

Anyone with me on this one?
New lease on life or death sentence? iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 | Ars Technica

This video will tell you at least something.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Thanks ifr that Dennis. I think I will take the jump anyway though I may regret not getting either the 4S or 5 when I upgraded last.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Was talking to Chris (CWA107) on FB. He says it's very slow on his IP4 but that video does not look that bad but time will tell.
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Thanks ifr that Dennis. I think I will take the jump anyway though I may regret not getting either the 4S or 5 when I upgraded last.
Be sure and let us know how it goes.
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

Just took the plunge on 4s. Works great so far and I don't notice much sluggishness. The only thing that sucks is trying to make a decent wallpaper. You'll see what I mean when you upgrade. Anything not in iPhone aspect, is a total PITA to customize...
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 7 and just my initial reaction is that it is indeed slower than iOS 6. To some extent, I had expected that and it isn't unusably slow, just a tad sluggish with a couple of animations..

Other than that, it's been working great so far.

I do plan on upgrading to the iPhone 5S soon, so I'll only have to deal with this for a little bit..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm having no speed issues with my upgraded iPhone 4, but perhaps that's something to do with the fact that I keep a few GB free. For me, iOS 7 has been great though it seems a bit more battery-hungry than iOS 6, but that could be a setting I've missed somewhere.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I'm having no speed issues with my upgraded iPhone 4, but perhaps that's something to do with the fact that I keep a few GB free. For me, iOS 7 has been great though it seems a bit more battery-hungry than iOS 6, but that could be a setting I've missed somewhere.
Same here. I also try to keep a bit fee. Difficult to do with only 8 GB but since I usually have the iPad with me I don't need a lot on the phone. Performance seems to be about the same as IOS 6.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

Me too. After I upgraded to iOS 7, my phone is a bit laggy. but I love the new iOS. Just a bit slow performance.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I imagine that the iPhone 4 will be fine with it initially but will suffer from problems of attrition at a greater rate than the other iOS hardware. I could be wrong but I'm going to guess that the iPhone is like any hardware - the older hardware gets much older than the newer hardware much more quickly (or at least perceptibly so).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

There are a series of settings to control the battery usage in iOS 7, so disabling them will improve the battery life. Not all of the settings are available on the iPhone 4, so disable the ones that are there..

As always, the more "bling" you enable, the faster the battery get chewed up..so while the parallax background and background app refresh are all cool features, you gotta figure out if it's worth wasting battery over them..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The parallax feature isn't available on the iPhone 4, so its a non-issue. I do love it on the iPad (3) though, I don't even care if it uses more battery.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone 5S Verizon | Messages (Saved) at 3.6 GBs »