Iphone 5 not able to bluetooth to macbook
    Hi
    I upgraded from a phone 4 to a 5. Previously with my old 4, I had no problem connecting it to my mac via bluetooth. But now with my new 5, I can't connect it via bluetooth to my mac....it's totally bizarre. I follow the same set up instructions, and was able to pair my phone on my mac but not on my phone - the phone had a message that says "not connected" and then "my mac is not supported"!

I am totally stumped! If anyone has a solution, please let me know.

Joined just to search for this. I believe that they're incompatible (based on some other internet searches). Seems pretty obscene to me. Can anyone confirm?

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Can you explain what you mean by "connected my old iPhone 4 to my mac via Bluetooth"? To the best of my knowledge this has never been possible. The Bluetooth in the iPhone is for headsets/headphones and now keyboards, a few items like Nike+ and not a lot else. As far as I know it has never been able to do much else with the Bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by "connected my old iPhone 4 to my mac via Bluetooth"? To the best of my knowledge this has never been possible. The Bluetooth in the iPhone is for headsets/headphones and now keyboards, a few items like Nike+ and not a lot else. As far as I know it has never been able to do much else with the Bluetooth.
    I was able to BT my iphone 4 to my mac, but now I can't BT my iphone 5 with mac.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Bluetooth isn't a verb. I repeat -- can you explain what you mean by "BT my iphone 4 to my mac"

In other words, what **specifically** is it that you want/need a Bluetooth connection between these two devices to do?

Specs:
    iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.10.3 (12C60)
    Maybe he wants to "Bluetooth" the music library on his iMac to his iPhone, but he could essentially do the same via iCloud (maybe...I don't have an iPhone).

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    I wonder if he is confused about wireless sync and backup which is done via wi-fi not blue-tooth.

Not confused...
    What the person means is he was trying to tether (Personal hotspot) his iphone internet to his MBP via bluetooth. There are three types of connections 1. Wi-Fi 2. Bluetooth 3. Connect via cable.

I always used this method but it no longer works. MBP says "connection unsuccessful" however, my phone shows they are connected but the MBP has no internet connection when I open Safari.

Specs:
    MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.5
    Quote Originally Posted by applewoo View Post
    What the person means is he was trying to tether (Personal hotspot) his iphone internet to his MBP via bluetooth. There are three types of connections 1. Wi-Fi 2. Bluetooth 3. Connect via cable.

I always used this method but it no longer works. MBP says "connection unsuccessful" however, my phone shows they are connected but the MBP has no internet connection when I open Safari.
    Odd. Mine still tethers successfully. (iphone 4s to new MBP retina)
    I always use wi-fi, never bluetooth - and go through the Personal Hotspot.

Disadvantages are that I have to reconnect everytime the MBP sleeps, the MBP never finds my phone when I first switch it (MBP) on, I have to turn off both the Hotspot and the Airport, then restart them.

My old Macbook (black) seemed to hold onto the connection better than this new retina model.
    I've read other posts about this and believe that there is no way I can lock my Airport onto a specific signal - but I'd be happy if anyone could contradict me.

Tethering is my only method of connecting my computer to the internet. I use this due to my nomadic lifestyle making a permanent land connection unviable. I got one of the last ever UK contracts which allow tethering with unlimited data. Apparently, all companies will soon be stopping this service?(I was told this by the provider)(Why? He didn't know.)

Finally, as chas_m says, bluetooth is not a verb. Not a verb yet. I think it will be one day.
    Best wishes, CB

Edited to add: Oops. Thought I was in the networking forum. Search function took me out of it and into this forum, just realised that subject is iphone5, so post may be irrelevant. Apologies.
    Last edited by cowbrain; 06-30-2014 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
    MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR(Crucial), 512GB SSD (Crucial M550) OSX 10.11.5
    iPhone 4S

Thread Information