New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Fastest way to transfer music to iphone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikehende

mikehende is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me what's the fastest way to transfer music into any version iphone please and is there a bigger HDD size than 64gb?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

iTunes and no

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Dewely

Dewely is on a distinguished road

iTunes. Only way.
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
iTunes and no
Thanks, sorry I am not understanding this?

Quote:
Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

It's part of my signature, it's on all my posts, and those of others.

On the forums there's a reputation system where you can 'thank' someone for helping by clicking on the icon (highlighted below on the attached image). The more feedback you get the more little blue dots you get on the left panel underneath your post count.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rep.jpg (15.3 KB, 49 views)

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

You can have iTunes Match turned on with all your music in the Cloud and then Music is on your iPhone where ever, whenever IF you have access to either WiFi or the phones data through a plan from a phone company.
64gb is the biggest, but I'm betting there will be bigger soon . . . . Although i think 64GB is enough for a iPhone, but could be happy with 128gb on my iPad Mini

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Match doesn't stream to iOS devices though, it downloads them to the device. While a slight difference, it's probably important to keep in mind.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Match doesn't stream to iOS devices though, it downloads them to the device. While a slight difference, it's probably important to keep in mind.
Although it does start playing them as you download, so it effectively does the same as streaming. The main difference being they stay on your device as they play rather than being discarded as with pure streaming services.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Although it does start playing them as you download, so it effectively does the same as streaming. The main difference being they stay on your device as they play rather than being discarded as with pure streaming services.
Sure, but this is an important distinction to know... if you (as I do) have many times more audio files than the device can hold.

I actually like the streaming service, since my laptop does not have to retain any of the music locally... I would start running out of disk space

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

My music on my Mac are located into many folders with names like "Dance, Reggae, Rock, Pop, R&B" e.t.c, what I need is the fastest way to transfer any of my folders of music into an iphone, ipod or ipad and be able to locate and play the music from their folders exactly like the way I can on my Mac using VDJ or Serato. Thing is I don't want to use itunes, that freakin software may work for you guys but it frustrates the hell out of me so guys, what's best for me here please? I apologize for not having stated this bit of info in my OP.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

There are four ways to get content onto your iPhone.
1. Sync content from an iTunes library
2. Download direct to the device
3. Connect to iTunes, but rather than sync just drag content into a suitable app.
4. Connect wirelessly to the iPhone from your Mac/PC via http and copy content.

It depends on how much you want to avoid iTunes vs your speed requirements.

Option 1 seems to be a non-starter for you.... but see below

Option 2 isn't applicable if you have existing content.

Option 3 means having an app that supports local storage and appears in the Apps page when your phone is connected. You drag your content into the app and it's copied onto the device without 'syncing' with the library. This is the fastest way between 3 & 4.

Option 4 means you don't need iTunes at all but the transfer will be slower over http/wifi (see apps like Air Sharing or File Browser for example)

Option 3 & 4 won't use the built in Music App so you'll need to find a Music player app you like that supports transfers in one of those ways.

I can understand your reticence at using iTunes. Sometimes it can feel like it's out to get you.

But...... I'd suggest if you want to keep the system you have now you can setup iTunes not to manage your library and just leave your folder structure where it is. This means the tracks appear in iTunes but it won't move or re-organise them. Then create a playlist for each folder of content.
Then sync your iPhone with selected playlists - So now, each playlist will represent a folder.
This way you have fast, managed syncing, you keep your folder control.

QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

Thank you very much for taking the time for that lengthy explanation but I don't even want itunes on my system. Essentially what I am seeking is an easy "windows" method of transferring my folders or individual tunes to an iphone, ipod and ipad. I have been searching the net and have found utilities or software such as:

How to Transfer Music to iPod without iTunes - iMobie Guide

so I am guessing there is no way to drag and drop like in windows? If not, then is there one software available which will easily do the transferring between computer and all 3 [iphone, ipod and ipad] instead of having to find separate softwares for each? It doesn't have to me a Mac software, a windows software which will do all 3 will be fine, any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

You can't drag and drop onto an iPhone, iPad or iPod on Windows or other OS without having iTunes installed because the file system isn't mounted like a USB mass storage device.

Even apps like iExplorer and DeTune require iTunes to be installed. I don't know of any way to do what you want outside of the methods I've described earlier.

Perhaps someone else knows differently and can suggest otherwise.

QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

ok, so I will need to use a software utility for each of them, that narrows it down, thanks for helping!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I'm not quite sure that's what I meant....

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphone icloud restore HELP! | Sync/Charge Problem »