Unhappy Need help with IPhone!!
    So this past week I thought i lost my iphone 5 at school. I looked for a while and decided someone must have stolen it. I had insurance and decided to tell them it was stolen pay the deductible and get myself a new phone. about two days after i got the phone in the mail i found my old one in my car. Im thinking about selling the old one or the new one but i dont want to get in trouble is there anything that is illegal about this ?

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Likely nothing illegal about this since when you claimed the phone was missing/stolen to the insurance company, you didn't know any better. You did pay a deductible to get the new iPhone..so you should be fine selling the one..

Now on a ethical/moral level, you might want to contact the insurance company first and let them know that you found the phone that you thought was stolen and see what they suggest you should do with your phone..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

i guess ill call them and ask but like you said since i did pay, the phone is mine to do as i please with it.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by amorales63 View Post
    i guess ill call them and ask but like you said since i did pay, the phone is mine to do as i please with it.
    Actually, the iPhone you recovered (in your car) now belongs to your insurance company. This is how insurance companies work when they replace a stolen item which has later been recovered. I believe when you call them, they'll ask you to send them the iPhone which was previously lost. You're probably not free to sell it or do whatever.

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Actually, the iPhone you recovered (in your car) now belongs to your insurance company. This is how insurance companies work when they replace a stolen item which has later been recovered. I believe when you call them, they'll ask you to send them the iPhone which was previously lost. You're probably not free to sell it or do whatever.
    Makes sense. You wouldn't be allowed to accept a settlement from the insurance co. for your car if it was totaled in an accident and keep the wrecked car to sell as-is on CL.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Thread Information