Hampton, VA
    New to iPhone 4S & 5 and IOS 6
    Hey everyone,

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm am clueless on the subject of smartphones. I am getting my first smartphone and I am choosing the iPhone 5 with IOS 6 through Verizon. I am also getting my mother-in-law her first smartphone and am getting her an iPhone 4S with IOS 6 because her coverage area only has 3G. We are trying to find the best way to learn how to use the phones. Should be be concentrating on the model of iPhone or on the version of the operating system? or both? And do you have any suggestions on the easiest way to learn? We're both total newbies. I've been a Mac user for a few years now so I don't have any problems syncing the phone with iTunes or over iCloud.

Thanks in advance.

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Have a look at this:

Apple - Support - Manuals

Waiting for a mate . . .
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    You should be concentrating on the Version os the iOS as the iP5 and iP4s are similar in operation, its just processor, screen size that are the major differences.
    The Manuals Chas linked you too are very helpful for what they are, but if your more of a paper person, go down your local Magazine outlet/Newsagent/Bookstore and there are a plethora of magazines/books out now for people just like you that i for one would rather use.
    There are a number of iPhone/iOS for Dummies books, or Great Magazines with photo tutorials to follow along with that take you through settings, how to get the best out of your new iPhone and the likes.
    As i said, i like these Mags. I have had a iPhone since the 4s and think i know it inside out, but i got the latest one a few weeks ago iP5/iOS6 and found some neat things that i hadn't picked up on yet, so for me was worth the buy

Or you can just play around with it to learn. Do a backup via iTunes first, so when you have mucked up bad, all you need to do is restore from Backup and your on your way again . . .

Enjoy your new phones
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Hampton, VA
    Thanks to the both of you. The manuals will be a big help. The picture tutorials will as well. I will also check YouTube for tutorials. I came up with that one from the suggestion of the picture videos.

Thread Information