Thread: Upgrade issue

Rapid City, SD
    13 in MacBook Air, 4 Gb RAM
    Question Upgrade issue
    I have kind of a tricky situation and not sure if there is any way around it or what-- I'm deploying to Afghanistan 8 days before I am eligible to upgrade from my iPhone 4 and am wanting to get the iPhone 5. Mainly because I want more storage, 16 Gb is not cutting it plus the battery on this drains way too fast and I will be using it a lot there I'd think (no, location services, bluetooth and all of that is not on).
    I have been getting A LOT of flack from Verizon about possibly upgrading a whopping 1 week early and they just keep saying no it's impossible, which I don't believe. Do any of you fine people know a work around or some way to get this done before I leave? I appreciate any help, thanks!

North Louisiana, USA
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Wow. That makes me kind of glad I did not change to them a few months ago. You may have already tried the following but here's the best thing I can think to do:

1. If you were at one of their stores and told that by one of the salespeople ask to speak with the manager/supervisor.
    2. If that does not work I would contact them through Customer Service.

Not a current Verion customer but have been in situations where someone from Customer Service was willing/able to do something that the store rep I talked to never even mentioned as possible. it might help if you can provide them with proof of deployment.

BTW Do you have other viable options for a carrier? Sometime the threat of taking your business elsewhere makes these situations go a bit more in your favor.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    No work around that I know of. The only thing I can suggest is try another Verizon store and maybe a customer rep who is more sympathetic can help you out. Otherwise, leave the phone with a family member and have them upgrade it for you and ship it to your APO address via insured registered mail.

Rapid City, SD
    13 in MacBook Air, 4 Gb RAM
    Thanks for the replies! I have been to two stores in town and called about 4 different customer service reps at the national line. The store manager at #1 said only national can approve it, national said only store managers can approve it, store manager at #2 said that only authorized retailers like Radio Shack or whoever sells verizon service can do it. Run around big time... I have not tried the switching to another carrier threat though, that is a good idea!
    And, chscag, I was thinking that might be my final option to have my wife do it and ship it to me but that would put me in a bind not having a phone on the way there. Might just be stuck with a crap battery full storage iPhone 4 the whole time! Thanks for the help!

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Might be worth buying a replacement battery for that iPhone 4, that might make it last till you can get the iPhone 5.

Thread Information