New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 5/iTunes 11 Syncing ONLY Checked Songs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrmo3088

mrmo3088 is on a distinguished road

I have dealt with iTunes for years now and usually i can Google my question and find a lot of others that have the same issues but this one has stumped me.

i have a LOT of music in my library and i don't have the space for all of it (shared computer with my wife, and don't enjoy all of her..... music choices as she doesn't like mine) i only want to sync certain songs to the phone. on precious versions you could "Check Synced Songs" but that's not the case with the newest version of iTunes (11.0.2.26) you do not have that option to check.

i recently found out that you can just click and drag the songs that you want to the device.

do i have to do this everytime? or with you (Apple) bring back the "Checked Sync" button back. WHICH IS WAY MORE CONVENIENT!?

Thanks for your time

-Dedicated Apple user of ALL kinds... but been VERY discouraged lately...
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Everyone seems to blame Apple when they can't do something and its usually ALWAYS the operators fault. You just need to dig a little and you can alway find a answer, if its the one your looking for or not, but there is a answer for your question

I have the same iTunes version as you do and i can check what ever songs that i wish too. See image below.
Im betting you have iTunes Match set up on your iTunes Library ??
Thought so.
As with the image below i have iTunes Match turned off on my iPad Mini so i can sync the songs i want, and on my iPhone5 i have iTunes Match turned on because i can use my Data to get the songs from the cloud, so in iTunes it hasn't got the ability to sync with iTunes.

You need to goto settings on your iPhone5 and then Music and turn iTunes Match to Off. Now go to iTunes on your Mac/Windows PC and you should now be able to check mark songs and sync them ??
HTH

Cheers

1st image is from iPad Mini with iTunes Match Off on the iPad Mini and the 2nd is with iTunes Match on, on my iPhone5

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Here's what I would do instead...

1. Create a playlist for you.
2. Create a playlist for your wife.
3. Select and drag your music into your playlist, and select and drag her music into her own.
4. Plug in each iPhone and in the settings for syncing, choose to sync only a specific playlist (choose yours for your iPhone and hers for her iPhone).

That's it... from now on, you just add the music you want on your iPhone to your playlist and vice versa with her iPhone.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post

3. Select and drag your music into your playlist, and select and drag her music into her own.
4. Plug in each iPhone and in the settings for syncing, choose to sync only a specific playlist (choose yours for your iPhone and hers for her iPhone).

That's it... from now on, you just add the music you want on your iPhone to your playlist and vice versa with her iPhone.
That's what my wife and I do. Super simple solution. It's the best way to share an Apple ID, only pay for apps/songs once, and still keep your devices set up to your liking/preferences.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
That's what my wife and I do. Super simple solution. It's the best way to share an Apple ID, only pay for apps/songs once, and still keep your devices set up to your liking/preferences.
Yep. I think people often overlook the value of playlists. I know I never gave them much thought ("why do I need a playlist? I can just pick what I want to hear"), but now that I see them as a means of breaking up/segregating a large library, they make a lot of sense.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Yep. I think people often overlook the value of playlists. I know I never gave them much thought ("why do I need a playlist? I can just pick what I want to hear"), but now that I see them as a means of breaking up/segregating a large library, they make a lot of sense.
Same here until I got an iPhone about 2.5 yrs ago. Only 16GB, but I have an enormous music library. I listen to music on my phone 99% of the time in my car commuting to/from work every day. I created different playlists in iTunes and change which one I sync to periodically. Plus, as we discussed, it helps when you and your mate share an Apple ID on different devices.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

While we're on this topic, a smart playlist called "least played songs" based on playcount can give you a never-ending changing array of songs (since as you listen to them, they won't meet the criteria anymore).
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:

Same here, playlists all the way, checking and unchecking is so awkward and time consuming. Sure it's only really there so you can always prevent certain stuff being synced.

You can even create multiple playlists per user.

I've always wished you could have App playlists to manage per device applications in the same way.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone as prepaid | iPhone 5 Image Retention »