New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iCloud space - am I being thick?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

idrops

idrops is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

My iPhone is saying I cannot back-up to iCloud anymore because I don't have enough space (see image below). It says the last back-up was 9th of Feb (UK date format). It says last back-up was 4.3Gb and Next back-up 4.3Gb with an ! in a warning triangle also saying I require additional 3.7Gb. Huh? My iPad (hardly use it) is backed up on the same cloud but takes just 150mb of space and is still backing up daily. It says I have 544Mb free. Where is it getting the 3.7Gb from? My apps that i've left on to back-up total probably 150 to 200mb tops, so it should be camera roll 4.1Gb + apps 200mb = 4.3gb like it says! What's going on? Am I missing something? I'd love to back-up asap so please help if you can!

Many thanks!

P.S. I know turning off camera roll isn't a terrible idea as photostream is 'sort-of' a back-up but I'd just like to solve this.

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Firstly I'd copy the camera roll contents onto you PC or Mac if you haven't already.

From the screenshot, it doesn't look like you should be getting the warning but perhaps it's got a different set of images/videos backed up ? I.e. it's not the same stuff in the backup so it wants to backup the majority of the camera roll.

Once you have all your stuff backup up on your PC or Mac and your happy you have a copy of everything you need (maybe backup to iTunes for belt and braces). Then delete the iCloud backup it has already and start afresh

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

I find that cleaning out camera roll fixes warnings like that.

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 5 or wait | Can I replace iPhone with iPad 3G »