New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone5 O2 ball and chain

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Perranoak

Perranoak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPad2, iPhone5

I bought my iPhone5 form an O2 shop PAYG for the full price.

I asked them to unlock it but they say that Apple has no unlock codes for iPhone5.

Can this be true?

Everybody knows it but everybody doesn't care!
RJD
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It sounds a little odd. I know they used to make payg customers 12 months before unlocking, but I think you just pay an admin fee now.

Try putting in an online request and seeing if you get the same response. It's often more effective than over the phone in my experience with O2.

As an aside, I don't know which provider you're planning on going to, but you can use a giffgaff on an O2 locked handset

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Perranoak

Cheers for that, I'll try.

I was going for Orange. I think they have good G3 cover down here.

RJD
QUOTE Thanks
MacGandalf

MacGandalf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7, iPhone5, iPad4, Apple tv3, iPod5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perranoak View Post
I bought my iPhone5 form an O2 shop PAYG for the full price.

I asked them to unlock it but they say that Apple has no unlock codes for iPhone5.

Can this be true?
Have you seen this: -
Can I 'unlock' my iPhone and use it on another network? | Support | O2

MacGandalf: Have waited all my life for a woman with a sword to come rescue me!!
QUOTE Thanks
Perranoak

Darn!

Still, I don't know for sure that it is locked.

RJD
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Darn? 15 seems like a reasonable price to be free to choose your network.

But if you got it from O2 on payg and not direct from Apple, it will be locked

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Perranoak

Yes, I would but it's the iPhone5 and so they will not.

Darn (this time about the lock)!

RJD
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

There's no saying that page is still current, there are no iPhone 5 supply issues now. Still worth a go I'd say

QUOTE Thanks
Perranoak

I had already ordered an Orange nano-SIM as I had become frustrated with not making any progress.

I guess I can just swap the SIMs and then I'll see if it's locked?

All seems a pain. I may as well have got it on contract!

RJD
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

It'll do no harm trying another SIM.

It's a bit 'horse has already bolted' stuff but if you're going to pay full price for an iPhone you're better off going direct to Apple - there's are supplied natively unlocked and open to all networks.

QUOTE Thanks
Perranoak

Yeah, true.

I was happy with O2 before for years but now I have a smart phone the G3 element is important and O2 are not so good for that down here.

Live and learn!

RJD
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

To put this as simply as possible, O2 are lying to you if they are telling you that they cannot unlock an iPhone 5. I just checked with my carrier here in Canada and of course once the contract is finished they can and will unlock an iPhone 5 for a small fee.
QUOTE Thanks
Perranoak

Aha! Cheers mate.

RJD
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 5 bluetooth in car | iPhone 4 Sim Card Question »