New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 5 and built in camera

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacGandalf

MacGandalf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7, iPhone5, iPad4, Apple tv3, iPod5

Hi. Since updating to iOS 6.1, everytime I open the Camera app on my iPhone 5 (UK) the shutter briefly opens then closes again.
Have looked on Apple Support pages for possible solutions but found none that worked.

I have so far tried: -
1. Rebooted iPhone 5 by holding both the Sleep/wake and Home Screen Buttons for 15 sec etc - no change in camera app performance.

2. Restored iPhone to factory settings via iTunes - no change in camera app performance.

The camera functions correctly in Facetime and other apps so it would seem to be the rear facing camera that is exhibiting this action.

Any ideas anyone. Will it just be best to see if an update is issued to fix this from Apple. Am confused.

Many thanks for any offers of help.

MacGandalf: Have waited all my life for a woman with a sword to come rescue me!!
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

You've done the normal fixes.

I think that there has been a recent release to 6.1.1. You might want to look into that and try it. If not I'd send it back for replacement.

EDIT: I think this latest update is only iPhone 4S specific

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
MacGandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
You've done the normal fixes.

I think that there has been a recent release to 6.1.1. You might want to look into that and try it. If not I'd send it back for replacement.

EDIT: I think this latest update is only iPhone 4S specific
Many thanks for your reply Pendlewitch. Phoned Apple this morning and they concur that it is a hardware fault. They are replacing my iPhone 5.
Much obliged for responding to my post.

MacG.

MacGandalf: Have waited all my life for a woman with a sword to come rescue me!!
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGandalf View Post
Many thanks for your reply Pendlewitch. Phoned Apple this morning and they concur that it is a hardware fault. They are replacing my iPhone 5.
Much obliged for responding to my post.

MacG.
Yo MacG...cheers for response. Just listening to Black Diamond Radio over my ATV..you might find one of those women with swords singing on there

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
MacGandalf

Quote:
Yo MacG...cheers for response. Just listening to Black Diamond Radio over my ATV..you might find one of those women with swords singing on there
Cheers. Have never listened to Black Diamond Radio. However, as regards woman with sword, one found me. She is the Lady Vivien.
Cheers man, gave you some REP for your time.

MacG.

QUOTE Thanks
MacGandalf

New iPhone 5 arrived. Back up and running but have not upgraded to iOS 6.1 - any thoughts on whether it's worth it or am I being slightly paranoid, Pendlewitch?

MacG.

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Hello MacG,

Hey thanks for the rep that's excellent! Good to see you got the new phone and Lady Viv is looking after you.

Regarding the iOS6 problem it's had it's fair share of troubles mainly from a wi-fi connectivity point of view and disconnects from 3G and if you read the press the issues still haven't been resolved.

I think you're between a rock and a hard place because your camera problem could have been coincidental and if you weren't experiencing any of the other reported problems on your old phone then it's probably worth a gamble.

I guess it depends on what version you are on. If you're already on iOS6.0.2 and you have no problems then the update to 6.1 will be like sticking a band-aid on undamaged skin.

What is your current iOS6 version?

QUOTE Thanks
MacGandalf

Replacement phone came with iOS6.02 on it. Had to setup as new iPhone because it would not restore from my last 6.1 update before phone was sent back.
After creating as new phone checked everything, especially cameras front and back - all working as should.

Had no problems before after updating to 6.1 apart from camera issue which turned out to be hardware related and not software related so I have just updated the replacement to 6.1 and camera app all aok now.

MacG.

QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Ok MacG,

I'd have gambled on the update too

EDIT Whoops..New security hole in Apple's iOS 6.1 lets anyone bypass an iPhone's lockscreen

QUOTE Thanks
MacGandalf

Quote:
Ok MacG,

I'd have gambled on the update too

EDIT Whoops..New security hole in Apple's iOS 6.1 lets anyone bypass an iPhone's lockscreen
Just watched the video. Complicated set of manoeuvers eh. Bad old World out there man!

MacG

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just upgrade to iPhone 5: how to activate it? | Is my iPhone defective or not? »