New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iphone 5 water damage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gabo864

gabo864 is on a distinguished road

HEy everyone

My wife got me an iPhone 5 last year and she bought Applecare+ along with it. Five days ago I dropped my iPhone in water, it was on so when I took it out it just turned off by itself, I put it in a bag full of rice and its been there for the last 4 days. Today I turned it on and it was alright, but Ive noticed sometimes it gets slow or gets stuck so i have to turn it off and back on. I was wondering since I have applecare+ .. do u think i could bring it to an Apple store and get a new one or at least a refurbished one? .. also when I dropped it it got a few dents too .. so I guess it would be cool if i can get a phone that has no water damage and hopefully not dents.. do you think they'd give me a new phone or would they open it and just change whatever is wrong with it inside? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

By all means take it to your local Apple store and turn it in for another one! You do realize that with Apple Care Plus you must pay a deductible and that the Apple store may provide you with a refurbished iPhone 5 instead of a new one?

I say "may" provide.... chances are if you talk to them nice and tell them what happened, they'll give you a new one. But you'll still have to pay the deductible.
QUOTE Thanks
gabo864

gabo864 is on a distinguished road

I read on the Applecare+ contract that I would have to pay $40. Is that the only fee? or will they charge me any extras? I was just asking because I didnt know if they would just give me a new or refurbished phone or if they would keep mine and just change whatever is wrong with it inside. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Take it in and find out what they are going to charge you. Pretty sure the iPhone plan is $49 per incident and covers up to 2 accidental damage claims.

I haven't seen any reports since they implemented AppleCare+ to know "for sure" what they're going to do.

Let us know what happens. Am sure there are a lot of folks interested - especially those still trying to decide if the AppleCare + is worth the money or not.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

When I purchased my iPad 3 with Apple Care +, the sales person at the Apple store said in the event of accidental damage they would replace it for the $49 deductible. He didn't say whether or not the replacement would be new, but I suspect it will likely be a refurbished unit. Which is fine since Apple refurbished units are like new anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Issues Verizon iPhone 4 | Is it ok if I hook my Lightning to USB Cable with my old charger?? »