New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Apple Products. Quality Control Issues!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ScottKrieger

ScottKrieger is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Quad-Core i7. 20GB DDR3 RAM. 2TB 7200RPM HDD, 2GB ATI 6970. 27" 2011. iPad 4th Gen. iPhone 5. MBP 09

Apple really starting to make a mockery of themselves lately. Or maybe Im just unlucky.

Over the past 8 weeks for me:

iMac, primary product had hard drive failure.
iMac replacement 1: Mark on side.
iMac replacement 2: Fine.

iPad, primary product came with a dent.
iPad replacement 1: came with another dent.
iPad replacement 2: Fine.

iPhone 5 (2 came by accident).
BOTH HAD MARKS ON?!
Received a replacement that yet again, had a mark on.

So in total, over the last 2 months, my record has been:

3 iMacs
3 iPads
3 iPhone 5s.

Im beginning to think im quite an unlucky person with apple.

Also, I took my MBP into apple 6 weeks ago to be repaired. Been into the apple store 5 times to pick it up and everytime I go to pick it up, they break or scratch something else!

Finally picked it up today, with a 50% off battery replacement. Deal done! Finally.

Hopefully this makes sense.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ISSUES LATELY?!

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I would say UNLUCKY mate.

In my household in the last 6weeks i have had a new 2010 13" MBP beautifully fine, iPad3 not a mark on it, iPhone5 white, looks amazing, and a 2011 refurbed 13"MBA still in pristine condition.

Not saying your being pedantic, but where you going over theses products like a fine tooth comb and looking for faults. I feel for you, but ive been happy with what i have had over the last 6 weeks

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
ScottKrieger

Mac Specs: Quad-Core i7. 20GB DDR3 RAM. 2TB 7200RPM HDD, 2GB ATI 6970. 27" 2011. iPad 4th Gen. iPhone 5. MBP 09

Haha, probably. To be fair, for the amount the products actually cost, I consider myself to be quite anal about things. Im just one of those people that finds the tiniest of things a pain in the ****!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottKrieger View Post
Haha, probably. To be fair, for the amount the products actually cost, I consider myself to be quite anal about things. Im just one of those people that finds the tiniest of things a pain in the ****!
Yea it can get like that. But in the end, how good and easy was it for you to get those replaced multiple times
Apples customer service is second to none. . . . .

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
ScottKrieger

Very true customer service is definitely a key trait for apple!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

You just have to remember that of the 1 000 000's of items made and delivered there are going to be some rouge products, and just so happens you where unlucky enough to get that batch lol

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottKrieger View Post
Apple really starting to make a mockery of themselves lately. Or maybe Im just unlucky.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ISSUES LATELY?!

My vote is unlucky as well.

I would also say that the defects you experienced & acted on…might be the sort of thing other folks might have not bothered with. They might not have liked it…they just figured it was too much trouble to get remedied (they may not live close enough to an Apple Store to make things convenient).

But that being said...you are totally within your rights to get a "pristine" product that you paid good money for. I probably would have done the same thing.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

It could be your delivery guy too.
delivery caught - Google Search
It is not uncommon. If you suspect it - setup a webcam.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yeah, just unlucky.

That said, I think it's worth bearing in mind that Apple has scaled from a company that made $8B a year to one that makes $35B ($50B expected this quarter) EVERY THREE MONTHS over the past 10 years.

That's a lot of manufacturing going on. As with any mass-manufactured product, the more you make the more are going to be defective (even if the percentage of defects stays the same or goes down). So your odds increase of getting a lemon.

The IMPORTANT thing really is what the company does about it. So far, what you've told us it that Apple keeps trying and does right by you. A cosmetic mark would be a shrug and a "sorry" at most companies, since it doesn't affect the operation of the device.

I haven't bought anything new from Apple since the third-gen iPad, but it was pristine. My wife got an iPhone 4 fairly recently, also flawless. My 2009 MBP just keeps humming along ...

I know returning a defective product can be annoying, but in the end the inconvenience is worth it, I think. I had a pair of headphones from a brand-name that literally split the first time I put them on my (enormous) head. Have a guess at what I got in the way of customer satisfaction on that one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone 4s problem | Unlocked iPhone 5 ? »