New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

help: free galaxy 3 or not free iphone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

etmd

etmd is on a distinguished road

I need to get my first smart phone and see that t-mobile offers a free (!) Samsung galaxy 3 for next days with new contract. Any reason I would regret this? i.e., could there be an issue with getting my Samsung pix into I-photo?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

One reason not to get the free Samsung Galaxy from T-Mobile: It's not an iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

ChrisMan287 can only hope to improve

After the horrible service my mother had, I would NOT recommend T-Mobile.

See what Verizon or AT&T has to offer. Maybe even Sprint.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with T-Mobile service. I've been using them for well over 5 years without any problems. The real drawback is that they don't offer the iPhone. But that may change now that they purchased Metro PCS and have instituted some newer frequencies for 4G.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

Where I would have service with my Sprint phone, she would have no service with her T-Mobile (both similar HTC phones). You have your experience/opinion and I have mine.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That's OK. Around here Sprint is terrible and T-Mobile is good. But you're talking about signal quality, not customer service. T-Mobile signal is generally good around large cities but once out in the boon docks, the signal is spotty. Sprint signal is generally weak everywhere around here along with their poor customer service. (My experience.) However, that might just be here and not in your area. One reason why I purchased a Verizon iPad because their LTE signal is strong just about everywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The Galaxy 3 is a really nice phone to be sure. I would check with T-Mobile and see if they give you any kind of a "test drive" period, where you can cancel the service and return the phones if it doesn't work in the places you need to use it in.

The iPhone is much less maintenance, but Android is fun if you don't mind tweaking around with your phone to get it to consistently work the way you need it to. I'd say if the service is good, the deal is right, and you find Android to suit your tastes, go for it!

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The only reasons I can think of against Android phones is not all of them can be updated to the latest OS and the fact roll out from some of the carriers is painfully slow.
Further evidence of this can be found by visiting the forums.
The other plus side to the iPhone is it integrates beautifully with the rest of the Apple line.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

You really do have to be careful choosing a carrier. A lot of it has to do with whether or not you travel a lot or if you're staying in your general area. And of course which carrier is best in your area.

Chris, where in NY are you? T-Mobile has very good service in the metro NYC area. Speed tests consistently show a ping of 31ms and no less than 14mbps down and 7mbps up. It is also dependent on the phone as well. Some phones aren't capable of the full spectrum that Tmo has to offer. The Galaxy S3 is capable of LTE as well as HSPA+ 42 Their new Nexus 4 *which I'm very interested in* is also capable of HSPA 42, but they haven't rolled that spectrum out for NYC yet, so it only gets 21, which is that 14mbps.

You also have to be aware of the fact that unless it's a pure vanilla Google phone, the handset manufacturers have full control over OS updates, and that's a BAD thing. It's the reason that Google told Verizon to take a hike with this new Nexus 4 release. Pure Google phones get updates immediately, directly from Google as soon as they're ready. Verizon screwed their customers over in this regard, so I'd be wary about going that route with an Android phone.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Everyone pretty much covered the main issue with Android vs iOS. Had a friend that wanted to try tethering devices since he has unlimited data with T-mobile. We downloaded every free app for tethering and none of them ended up working.

Did a quick google search and found out that the apps don't work with Jellybean which happens to be the version that his phone was running.

Flash apparently has issues running in certain web browsers as well with Jellybean. Never knew about it until one of my relatives bought a Transformer Prime Tablet which was running Jellybean and was unable to run anything off youtube or anything flash based. They had to download so many different browsers with the same problem.

When any of those issues are going to address? Who knows.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Chris, where in NY are you?
I'm upstate from NYC about half an hour.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is no more flash with Android as of 4.1.

Not going to be either - Adobe couldn't get it right and gave up just 9 months after bringing flash to Android.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

The phones I see that are capable or allowed running Flash eat through a battery very quick carrying a charger would be mandatory.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Chas, that was outstanding. I'd love to see that featured that as an editorial on the blog. Are you on our blogging team?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

If I could give chas_m reputation points I would, very well said and will point all I know on the fence towards this post.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Iphone 5 bookmark problem | bluetooth »