New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

New iphone 5 issues!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Vinniecole

Vinniecole is on a distinguished road

Hello, i ordered an iphone 5 which came today and i was eager to get all my info transfered across from my old iphone 3g. i plugged in my old 3g and backed up in itunes. I then followed the instructions of the new 5 and where it said 'set up iphone' i selected 'restore from itunes backup' i then plug it in but nothing appears on the screen. iv changed USB ports, checked the cable and still nothing. The old 3g still works normally but the 5 is not showing.
Iv restarted my computer, and tried other software programs but as my ibook is quite old at operating system 10.4.11 i cant use that software.

Can somebody pleaseeee help as im dying to get my phone up and running and use it. Thank you very much,

Vinnie
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Hmmm more homework you should have done.

iP5 wont show up in iTunes you have as the system specs for the iP5 are

Mac: OS X v10.6.8 or later
PC: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
iTunes 10.7 or later

Seing you have 10.4.11 and not the latest iTunes you wont be able to sync your iP5

Would also be nice to know what Mac you have too.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you do all the above on the iBook or another newer Mac?

Like was said, the IP5 will not work with that Power PC OS. You need a newer iTunes which is does not support.
QUOTE Thanks
Vinniecole

hello and thanks for the replies. Its an ibook g4, so probably ancient to todays standards.
why couldnt they have keep the sim card the same size so its a simple exercise of importing contacts. So i basically have to get a new computer to be able to sync the 5? cheers once again for the replies
QUOTE Thanks
Vinniecole

is there any other way to import my txts, contacts ect ect or am i stuffed?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Do you have an Apple store nearby? Any friend with a newer Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Vinniecole

im not too sure to be honest, can find out. how will that help? can they send the info over for me?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinniecole View Post
im not too sure to be honest, can find out. how will that help? can they send the info over for me?
Yes if you have a local Apple store then they will transfer your data for you and same if a friend has a Mac running 10.6.8 and above.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Vinniecole

if i got a friend to do it, would they have to do it via itunes and if thats the case will my data be left on there machine? as you can tell i havnt got a clue
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You are MANY YEARS overdue for a new(er) Mac. Go buy yourself one. An iBook G4? That's coming up on 10 years old!

The iPhone 5 can be set up to run independent of a computer but of course your music collection and data that's on your computer can't be synced over.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

ChrisMan287 can only hope to improve

Find your 3G back up file and move it to a USB if you have one. Then find a friend with a newer Mac and set it up from there using that back up.
QUOTE Thanks
Vinniecole

ok thanks for the replies. my mac is OLDDD but to be honest, i originally purchased it for uni and now all i use it for is a bit of photo editing and storing my music, pics and searching the net. cant really warrrant spending 700 plus on a new computer just to store the above data at this current time. would love a imac but have more important things to spent the money on.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Decent cheap(er) USB leads? | bottom part of iphone 3g not working »