New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Texting from iMac to Iphone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oldfella

oldfella is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac

I'm old as dirt, and not too bright - some say I most have gone to grade school with Methuselah. My kids text each other and get responses fast, while I email them and wait a day or two, or three. So, my question is, how can I text them from my iMac to iPhone when I need a faster response? Thanks in advance.

Pete (The Oldfella)
QUOTE Thanks
Dyno-Dylan

Dyno-Dylan is on a distinguished road

You can download the messages beta from the apple website. Then you can imessage with your kids as long as their iphones are running ios5

Here is the link: http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain...messages-beta/
QUOTE Thanks
oldfella

Oh, Rats! Here is the message I get: "This update requires Mac OS X version 10.7." - I'm running OS X 10.6.8. - I bought the "Lion" version when it first came out, but dumped it because of some goofy issues and went back to the "Leopard" version, and can't find my proof of purchase (Lion) to get it back ... any ideas? Thanks.

Pete
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfella View Post
Oh, Rats! Here is the message I get: "This update requires Mac OS X version 10.7." - I'm running OS X 10.6.8. - I bought the "Lion" version when it first came out, but dumped it because of some goofy issues and went back to the "Leopard" version, and can't find my proof of purchase (Lion) to get it back ... any ideas? Thanks.

Pete
If you open the Mac App store on your Mac and go to "Purchases" (top of the screen), you should be able to see everything you purchased from there. (you'll have to be signed in to see your purchases) I'm assuming that's where you acquired Lion?

Just click on the Lion icon and re-download it. After installing, go here to update to latest version of Lion before installing Messages.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Moved out of the "Lounge" as this thread does not belong there.

As for your original purchase of Lion... just log on to the App store with your original userid and password and you can download Lion again without having to pay. Read through the following thread to learn how to re-download Lion.

LINK
QUOTE Thanks
oldfella

Thanks, folks - After additional research, I found that Lion is till riddled with unresolved issues - so, I think I'll wait until "Mountain Lion" is out and gets a good going-over by the gurus to pursue my "texting from my Mac to iPhone" quest. Thanks for your courtesies.

Pete (The Oldfella)
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfella View Post
Thanks, folks - After additional research, I found that Lion is till riddled with unresolved issues - so, I think I'll wait until "Mountain Lion" is out and gets a good going-over by the gurus to pursue my "texting from my Mac to iPhone" quest. Thanks for your courtesies.

Pete (The Oldfella)
Hey Pete,
As long as the specs and software updates are up to speed on your iMac for Lion then you shouldn't have any problems. There where a few niggles initially, and the wi-fi reconnect issue has just been resolved.
Everything is good here and with most folks.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

As an aside to the Lion issues can I susgest that if the email account used supports push (many do now but iCloud accounts, gmail, yahoo as a few examples) the email will arrive just as quick as a text.

If it's fast response you're after I'd suggest it's got more to do with how the recipient responds to texts/emails rather than the speed of the method used that's in question here.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« itunes list different to music on iphone 4s | iPhone 4 music balance »