Iphone 4s.. cannot hear anyone during calls, only works on speaker phone
    Hey guys, I have an Iphone 4S and I cannot hear anyone when I make calls, I cannot even hear the ringing when I'm making a call, but they can hear me. Also, it works perfectly fine on speaker phone.

I know people say to unplug and plug it in to make it not think that there is a head set in but I have tried this and it will NOT WORK!! When I adjust volume the "headphone" tab is not highlighted so I don't think it thinks I have headphones in!?

WHAT CAN I DO !!

I don't know what the "headphone tab" is that you are referring to. If the headphones are plugged in, or if your iPhone "thinks" they are, then when you adjust the volume, the HUD that pops up to show the volume level will say "ringer volume (headphone)". Or something very similar to that.

Otherwise, it sounds to me like the top speaker is not working. That would explain why you only hear audio over speakerphone. You can try restoring the software via iTunes to rule out it being software-related, but otherwise you will need to take it to Apple or your carrier.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    I don't know what the "headphone tab" is that you are referring to. If the headphones are plugged in, or if your iPhone "thinks" they are, then when you adjust the volume, the HUD that pops up to show the volume level will say "ringer volume (headphone)". Or something very similar to that.

Otherwise, it sounds to me like the top speaker is not working. That would explain why you only hear audio over speakerphone. You can try restoring the software via iTunes to rule out it being software-related, but otherwise you will need to take it to Apple or your carrier.
    Thanks for the reply, it does not say anything about headphones when I adjust volume!! Now what? I am restoring as we speak

UPDATE. Did resort and it did not fix the problem!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeloop View Post
    UPDATE. Did resort and it did not fix the problem!
    Then take it to Apple or your cell provider. It's broken.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Yes Apple should swap it, mine had exact same fault.
    Took it back and they swapped it on the spot after showing them the issue, has happened to a few 4S in australia that I know of.
    Go the Mac!!

Quote Originally Posted by daffy67 View Post
    Yes Apple should swap it, mine had exact same fault.
    Took it back and they swapped it on the spot after showing them the issue, has happened to a few 4S in australia that I know of.
    I bought this phone off someone on the internet, it was locked to Bell (my provider) and it was brand new unopened, I was the first to activate it, will they replace it?

I bought this phone off someone on the internet, it was locked to Bell (my provider) and it was brand new unopened, I was the first to activate it, will they replace it?
    There's no guarantee of course, it does not matter who owns it, as long as it's under warranty.
    Go the Mac!!

Specs:
    Iphone 4S, Iphone 3GS, 13'' Macbook Pro
    It's a hardware problem, take it to the apple store and request for a new one like what I've just done.
    Cheers, Jesus <3 you!

Question
    Hey guys, I have an Iphone 4S and I cannot hear anyone when I make calls, I cannot even hear the ringing when I'm making a call, but they can hear me. Also, it works perfectly fine on speaker phone.

I know people say to unplug and plug it in to make it not think that there is a head set in but I have tried this and it will NOT WORK!! When I adjust volume the "headphone" tab is not highlighted so I don't think it thinks I have headphones in!?

WHAT CAN I DO !!
    I have the same problem with my phone.Did you fix the problem and how?

Thread Information