New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Huge iphone 4s restore problem!!!plz help!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Philipplin

Philipplin is on a distinguished road

Good afternoon,

I bought an iphone 4s for christmas, and everything was working fine, upgraded to ios 5.0.1; but I got greedy and was still looking for something more. So since recently the untethered jailbreak for 5.0.1 came out, I decided to give that a try, customized some stuff, and downloaded a bunch of new apps. Even though Cydia is open source i still wansn't happy with it and decided that i wanted to go back to the regular IOS 5.0.1. I backed up to icloud before i did the jailbreak, and so then I went into settings>general>reset> reset everything It took all night and still nothing happened so i decided to restart it myself, and restore it while it was connected to iTunes. I have put it into DFU mode and tried restoring it with apples software and i constantly get error 21 or 1600. i have tried to download the ispw manually and select it before I restored it using that firmware.... As of right now i'm hopeless and in desperate need of help. It also doesn't help that i'm phoneless at the moment! any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Items:

Macbook Pro Lion, newest itunes software
iPhone 4S
tried using different cables and restarted itunes
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

whitehorse84 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

This happened to me. Once I get to my laptop I'll reply with how I fixed it
QUOTE Thanks
Philipplin

Appreciate it so much! thank you
QUOTE Thanks
whitehorse84

whitehorse84 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro

ok, so it sounds like you went further than I did.

I jail broke my iPhone 4s (5.0.1) and then wanted to go back, and accidentally didn't' do my research and did a "restore clear all settings" or whatever it is.. my phone just sat on a black screen with the circle status symbol for hours.

I was able to restart the phone (holding power and home button) and it restarted back to the regular home screen. Are you able to do that at all or no?
QUOTE Thanks
Philipplin

Yeah I'm at the exact same thing it restarts and goes to a black screen with the circular symbol! And that's all!
QUOTE Thanks
Philipplin

What happens next?
QUOTE Thanks
wrongmark2

wrongmark2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5", iPhone 4

I've done similar thing with my iphone 4. Now trying to restore the stock firmware after eventaully managing to get the phone into DFU mode, but keep getting the Error 1600 in iTunes. When I get home I'm going to try the normal recovery mode (USB -> iTunes screen). I'm also downloading another copy of the firmware just incase the one I have is corrupted (unlikely but...).

I've also tried to use Redsnow to boot and also tried to re-Jailbreak it - neither worked.

I think I need a full restore to wipe the mess. Any suggestions welcomed.
QUOTE Thanks
wrongmark2

wrongmark2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5", iPhone 4

Problem solved. Try doing what I did. I have done this before when having slightly different errors when trying to restore. Remove the "gs.apple" line from the "hosts" file located in /private/etc/ (\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ if you're on windows I think). Anyone using OS X Lion might find that this file is locked for editing. I edited this using a sudo command in terminal there's a good youtube vid that shows you how to do this here: Edit Locked Host File On Mac OSX Lion - YouTube
QUOTE Thanks
Philipplin

I figured out my problem this way.

After countless attempt to restore it on my MacBook, and it did not work even downloading the ipsw separately. I took out my Windows computer updated iTunes and downloaded iOS 5.0.1 and what do you know worked perfectly expect then i had to go back on my Mac and add all the music and movies, etc... no problems since
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 4s will not come on | Dropped it like a brick, now it works like a brick »