New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 4S quality and construction

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maxwell2112

maxwell2112 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 500gb 7200rpm HD, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

Im finding that my iPhone 4S does not feel as though it was constructed as well as earlier phones. I had my 3GS for almost 3 years and it was the most well made gadget I have ever had but my 4S has a rattle in the back by the camera lens and the back plate shifts back and forth ever so slightly if I hold it a certain way.

I was thinking about making an appoint to get it looked at but the nearest Apple store is 100 miles away. The phone works fine but I keep thinking that either this phone slipped through the quality control at the manufacture or these phones are just not as well made.

I know most of us here are very happy with our Apple products but has anyone had this thought about the iPhone 4S?

17" MacBook Pro
Iphone 4S 64gb
iPad 1 and 3rd generation, both 16gb Wi-Fi, 3 or 4 iPods around here somewhere and 4 very reliable home-built Windows boxes
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2112 View Post
Im finding that my iPhone 4S does not feel as though it was constructed as well as earlier phones. I had my 3GS for almost 3 years and it was the most well made gadget I have ever had but my 4S has a rattle in the back by the camera lens and the back plate shifts back and forth ever so slightly if I hold it a certain way.

I was thinking about making an appoint to get it looked at but the nearest Apple store is 100 miles away. The phone works fine but I keep thinking that either this phone slipped through the quality control at the manufacture or these phones are just not as well made.

I know most of us here are very happy with our Apple products but has anyone had this thought about the iPhone 4S?
My wife has had the iPhone 4 since launch and I have the iPhone 4S. Neither of us have these issues, nor have I ever heard of them. Sounds like you got a lemon. It happens. Call Apple.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No iPhone 4S I've seen (nor iPhone 4) has a "rattle" or a "shifting back plate" (!!). There is definitely something wrong there. You might call Apple up and explain your remoteness, maybe they can do a mail exchange with you or something.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Ah ha! The "infamous" iPhone rattle.

My iPhone 4 does this, my sister's boyfriend's iPhone 4 does this. My Dad's 4S does this. My colleague's 4S also does this. Now, me being me just went "meh - still works" but my colleague however tried to complain about this rattle which happened after a few days after receiving his 4S. He tried to complain to Vodafone, who told him he'd have to send it back and they would replace it with a refurbished one. He wasn't happy with this so trudged into the local Apple store, only to be told by a genius "Yeah, mate, this is a recognised fault on iPhone 4/4S.... If you want it replaced we'll give a refurb, chances are that will do it aswell".

Bottom line, Apple know it makes this rattle noise, just can't be bothered to do anything about it, not permanently anyway. So this would suggest standards are slipping, perhaps.

Haven't come across your other issue though, I'll keep an eye out.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

iPhone 3GS? Well made? not at all.

The back casing is the most prone thing to cracks i have ever seen. About 90% of the them that turn up at work I have to turn away due to either hairline cracks near the headphone jack or huge cracks by the 8pin connector.

iPhone 4's on the other hand rarely give me any jip

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

mine has no rattle, no hum, no moving parts (that shouldnt be moving). Neither do my parents' 4s'. As many iPhones as there are out there, I am sure some show issues - but it will be a very low percentage.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
maxwell2112

Mac Specs: MBP 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 500gb 7200rpm HD, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

Thanks for the interesting array of responses.

I called Apple and the guy explained that the rattle is the shudder on the camera and that is just the way it is. The back plate is lose and they offered to exchange it. The guy said he didn't know if it would be a re-built (he refused to use the word "refurb") phone or a new one but most likely a new one.

I couldn't be with out it because I use it for my work e-mail so they put a hold on my credit card for the full price but will release it as soon as I ship the old phone.

It was easier than I thought it would be, I was prepared to deal with some hard-*** policy stuff but was pleasantly surprised.

17" MacBook Pro
Iphone 4S 64gb
iPad 1 and 3rd generation, both 16gb Wi-Fi, 3 or 4 iPods around here somewhere and 4 very reliable home-built Windows boxes
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I only have five iPhone 4's and 4S's in my immediate circle of friends, but I asked them to give it a shake and report back. No rattles in the bunch, nor should there be.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough

You wouldn't hear it by shaking it, you hear the noise by tapping it at the back near to where the camera is situated, but that's by the by...

Anyway, we all agree that it shouldn't be rattling, truth of the matter is - some iPhones rattle and Apple just accepts it as part of the design. Maybe they should make a camera that doesn't rattle next time around.

OP - glad they are sending you another... Let us know if this one rattles to!

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
You wouldn't hear it by shaking it, you hear the noise by tapping it at the back near to where the camera is situated, but that's by the by...
Well whaddya know mine does do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjb11 View Post
The rattling is normal. It is the gyro that is near the camera.
This sounds like a perfectly reasonable and acceptable explanation and I'm satisfied with it. If it DIDN'T rattle, I think I'd be concerned. After all, this is a moving part. Nothing to see here folks.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Ahhhh, well if it's the gyro then that makes sense. Panic over.

QUOTE Thanks
maxwell2112

What panic?

17" MacBook Pro
Iphone 4S 64gb
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

I wasn't being literal.

QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

The rattle is from the lenses in the camera.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Why would a MEMs gyro rattle - at least rattle at a level that a human could hear? I'm going to cast a vote for the lenses as indicated above.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 4s Wifi problem | Anyone know a way to crack trial apps into the real deal? »