New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Iphone wont charge

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrandis04

jrandis04 is on a distinguished road

Have an iPhone 4 and when I plug it in, it says charger dont compatible or something to that extent. Ive replaced the cord twice and it still does not want to charge. What do I do?
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

Have you done a reset on the phone?

Hold down the power and home button until the screen shows the Apple logo, and then release.
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

Ill try it.....
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

Nope didnt work.... Says chargine is not supported with this accessory! Ive been using this cord for months never had a problem
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

Is it an Apple cord, or an aftermarket?

And are you charging from a wall plug or from a USB port?
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

Cord is an Apple suggested aftermarket from the Verizon store. Using a plug from a android phone due to the Apple factory never worked!
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

Apple suggested aftermarket? I didn't think that Apple recommended any 30 pin connector other than their own.

I would take a good look at the cord for damage to the contacts. The phone is registering it being plugged in (hence the message) but not receiving power from it.

Did you purchase the phone second hand?

(On an entirely different note, if the phone is less than a year old, Apple will replace the wall plug for free.)
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

All I know is what the Verizon store told me. Ill look at the cord, see if I see anything. I bought the phone brand new in August.
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

OK. So there is some good news there. If you bought the phone new in August then you're still covered under warranty. The Apple cord, that came with the phone, should be replaced for free.
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

Well I have a genius bar appointment scheduled in an hour, we will see what they say
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No disrespect intended, but several aspects of this story seem fishy.

1. Nobody employed by Apple would EVER recommend a third-party plug. Well, nobody STILL employed by Apple anyway ...

2. I'm unclear on what happened to the original wall charger that came with iPhone originally. Not the cord -- the actual charger. You said the "original cord" didn't work but it actually sounds to me like the charger may be the problem (sporadically defective).
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

1. the Verizon store said it was an Apple recommended cord, not Apple
2. The factory wall charger never worked to begin with....

Went to Apple last nite, got a new cord, charged the phone no problem. This morning the phones used 50% of the battery in 3 hours with hardly any usage of the phone and now the replacement cord will not work, phone keeps chirping when plugged in
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Go back to the apple store and get a replacement iphone. sounds like you have a bad dock connector and or battery.
QUOTE Thanks
jrandis04

They sold me a new cord with a wall plug, its working so far.... Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yeah, I think that Verizon store told you a bit of a lie.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone screen protector: Yes or No? | iOS5 upgrade »