New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Restore iPhone from backup?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

35g700

35g700 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13.3" Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz C2D | 4096MB 1067 MHz DDR3 | nVidia GeForce 320m

I had to restore my iPhone a little while ago due to a failed update and in doing so I lost everything. Luckily I backed up my iPhone before I updated my iPhone. I used to be able to restore from backup but now that I'm in iOS 5 I can't do that. If I go to preferences>Devices I can see the backup of my iPhone but their is no way to restore my iPhone to it.

The backup of my iPhone is there but Apple won't let me restore to it, how should I go about doing it?

Laptop PC - MacBook Pro Mid 2010 | 2.4GHz | 4GB DDR3 RAM| GeForce 320m
Desktop PC - Core i5 750 @ 3.4GHz | 4GB DDR3 | XFX 6870(Overclocked) | Winows 7 x64
Certifications - CompTIA A+ Certified | Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35g700 View Post
I had to restore my iPhone a little while ago due to a failed update and in doing so I lost everything. Luckily I backed up my iPhone before I updated my iPhone. I used to be able to restore from backup but now that I'm in iOS 5 I can't do that. If I go to preferences>Devices I can see the backup of my iPhone but their is no way to restore my iPhone to it.

The backup of my iPhone is there but Apple won't let me restore to it, how should I go about doing it?
You certainly should be able to restore from your backup, even if the version of iOS is newer than the one you backed up with. What makes you think that you can't do so now?

EDIT: if you are trying to do this over wi-fi… plug it in.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Plug your device in via USB. It should show up in the middle of the sidebar on the left side of the iTunes screen. Ctrl-Click (right-click) the device. Select 'Restore from Backup'.

Although you can view your backups in Preferences, I don't think there is a way to restore from the Preferences box.
QUOTE Thanks
nutza

nutza is on a distinguished road

Quote:

i have the same problem! iam trying to find a solution from 3 days and i cant, i cant restore from back up, even i cant see the Restore from backup word in the devices
any idea?
QUOTE Thanks
marielle0420

marielle0420 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I lost my iphone4s and i really need to get the contacts there. i know itunes do automatic back up, but when i clicked restore from back up from the new iphone4 i got, the back up of my old phone wasnt there. but when i checked in the devices in the preference box, it is there. why is it not showing when i restore it? how can i restore the back up? help pls?
QUOTE Thanks
Fibo011235

Fibo011235 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13.3" (early 2011) | 8gb ram | 1tb hd | Mac OSX 10.8 |

Quote:
Originally Posted by marielle0420 View Post
I lost my iphone4s and i really need to get the contacts there. i know itunes do automatic back up, but when i clicked restore from back up from the new iphone4 i got, the back up of my old phone wasnt there. but when i checked in the devices in the preference box, it is there. why is it not showing when i restore it? how can i restore the back up? help pls?

It might be because of different versions of iOS.

What version of iOS was running on the iPhone 4s?

What version of iOS is running on the iPhone 4?
QUOTE Thanks
Johnsally

Johnsally is on a distinguished road

This is not possible within iTunes, which deals with backup and restore as a single block. Keep in mind that syncing apps is different from a backup and restore - so you could remove some apps to free up space and try the restore.

The backup is stored under ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/, but the files not in an easy-to-use form.

If you wish to explore your backup and see what can be selectively extracted or used, there are some paid applications to do that (check the free trials to see if they're helpful): like: Vibosoft iPhone backup extractor app. iPhone Backup Extractor - Extract iPhone Backup File from iTunes Mac/Windows
QUOTE Thanks
Johnsally

Johnsally is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibo011235 View Post
It might be because of different versions of iOS.

What version of iOS was running on the iPhone 4s?

What version of iOS is running on the iPhone 4?

I am trying to restore a new 16 GB iPhone from my old 64 GB backup, and am getting the error message that the old backup is too large (for the record, I don't believe it's very much over 16 GB)...the old phone is broken, so I cannot try to make a new backup smaller (this was one solution I found here).
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsally View Post
I am trying to restore a new 16 GB iPhone from my old 64 GB backup, and am getting the error message that the old backup is too large (for the record, I don't believe it's very much over 16 GB)...the old phone is broken, so I cannot try to make a new backup smaller (this was one solution I found here).
Easy solution ... take the 16GB iPhone back, exchange it for a 32. Problem solved.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Search app on Iphone4s | This article, pretty well sums it up, why im into Apple Hardware. . . . And the code. »