New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 4S + water

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marcusbulbous

marcusbulbous is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro, i5 2.3ghz, 4gb RAM, 320gb HD

So I was out taking pictures with my camera and my iPhone yesterday. In trying to navigate to a precarious spot where I could place my tripod I gave my attention to my precariously placed camera and neglected to remember my iPhone was in my pocket. Bent over a little and the phone slipped out into a very shallow puddle. Picked it up right away and dried it as best I could. I did turn it on not knowing any better at the time. It's worked all day yesterday since and it worked this morning too. Checked my email first thing. But it is now not charging. Anyone have any experience with water damage? It appears to be working, just not charging, like moisture has gotten to the connector but left the phone itself intact. I've got it turned off in a bag of rice now. What do I do if after a period of time it still won't power up when connected? Can that individual component be replaced without having to pay for an entire new phone?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Since the charging port is the open part of the phone, water hitting that part will definitely cause damage.

Can you plug the phone into your computer and see if it recognizes it, if that doesn't happen and you might be out of luck since you can't necessarily replace that one part only since it's all soldered together onto the logic board of the iPhone..

You might have to get a new iPhone..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
marcusbulbous

marcusbulbous is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro, i5 2.3ghz, 4gb RAM, 320gb HD

It's odd, because it's worked the whole time. And the battery symbol appears. It just doesn't make the chirp sound when it begins to connect and power up. It just shows the symbol but the battery animation doesn't move. It doesn't increase from empty red. When disconnected it shows the symbol that it needs to charge.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

You might have inadvertently made it worse by charging it up.

The thing to do would be to obtain some bags of silica gel (camera shops should do them) and seal them in an airtight container with the phone for several days.

Failing that dry uncooked rice instead of silica gel is another trick.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

These devices are fairly well sealed and water might not have gotten into the real innards thus allowing it to function, but the charging port is exposed and thus probe to issues when exposed to water.

Depending on what pins might be shorted, the iPhone might be detecting the connection thus displaying the battery image, but the pins that actually carry the power for charging might not be working, thus no real charging happening..

Go through the drying techniques mentioned by pendlewitch and if that doesn't work, you're probably out of options..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I wouldn't go so far as to say that there no options. There're several repair services offered by iResQ. They also offer free analysis and repair quotes.
iPhone 4S Repairs & Service, iPhone Problems, iPhone repair
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say that there no options. There're several repair services offered by iResQ. They also offer free analysis and repair quotes.
iPhone 4S Repairs & Service, iPhone Problems, iPhone repair
Well let's see what happens with the trusted professional photographers' technique before countenancing that.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
Well let's see what happens with the trusted professional photographers' technique before countenancing that.
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. I was referencing Razor's statement that, if the silica/rice trick didn't work, then the OP was likely out of options.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

Let the iphone sit for a while so that it can completely dry out. My 3gs did the same thing when it fell in the water and it started to work a few days later. These things are very water resistant in my experiences my 4 was under water for about 15 seconds and it still works like new.
QUOTE Thanks
GQ Ukyo

GQ Ukyo is on a distinguished road

You can check for a red dot/light in the earphone plug. Look directly into the hole. If it's there then the phone has registered water damage. If it's not there, you can try your luck with replacing it at Apple. If it's there, they will not replace. I've had friends replace various components for various generations of iphones at repair shops so all is not lost. Hope it all works out for u.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

Take it to the apple store and tell them your situation. Be very honest and do not lie to them about what happened. I have had some success with this when my iPad screen cracked.
QUOTE Thanks
Blackdeek2006

Blackdeek2006 is on a distinguished road

And after all that, think about investing in one of these: Life Proof Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdeek2006 View Post
And after all that, think about investing in one of these: Life Proof Case
I have one and it is amazing. Throw it across the room you can use it in the shower it is amazing. I wish that I would have not gotten the otterbox and just gotten the life proof case.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 'problems with MobileMe/iCloud' | iphone 4 phone call issues with logitech speaker dock »