New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Iphone 4 & 4s GPS Quality

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrblue

mrblue is an unknown at this point

I have a 3gs and the gps is crap, thinking of upgrading to 4 or 4s. Just wondering if the gps chip is of better quality. I am from the UK so any member from UK would be great to get your feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

What do you intend on using it for?

I have the 4 and find the GPS is adequate for my needs, but I don't using it for driving. Mainly for apps that need "Location services" - such as facebook and the like, where only an approximate location is ever really needed.

Having said that, I'm off snowboarding in a few weeks, so will be using it extensively then to plot tracks and collate other data. Combined with a decent tracking app, I fully expect it to meet my expectations, and am sure that it will.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
mrblue

Well, I will need it to be completely accurate when I use it but will not need it that often.

Thats why Im not sure whether or not to invest in a stand a lone device....
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

That's why I asked what you want to use it for.

If it's just for tagging posts on Facebook et al, then it'll be fine for that. If you're using it to trek across The Arctic, then you may want to invest in a proper GPS device.

If you want it for driving, can't give you an answer I'm afraid. I use the inbuilt GPS in my car, but people seem generally happy with the phone as a car navigation option.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Driving's been more than sufficiently accurate. If you're looking to use it for surveying (as in land surveying, or say.. archaeological digs I wouldn't trust it).

So, what's your intended use? That will determine the GPS device you need (I woudn't use a handheld GPS for surveying use either).

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mrblue

Just to get to a destination that Im not familiar with. City driving is also an issue as the city near me I hardly ever go except for shopping etc and its hard to get about....
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

It will be fine. I was using the GPS the other day - and it was just as good as my built-in Nav - and in some ways - better. BTW - check out the Waze app - it's an excellent idea and seems to work really well. Actually - I used my iPad 1 with no issues as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hands free car kit for iPhone 4? | Otterbox and Stylus »