New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Looking to get an iphone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jetslife

Jetslife is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking about getting an iphone for airsoft. I need something like a walkie talkie that I can talk to people over short distances non-stop for free or really really low price. Might spend many hours a week on the phone. But it wouldn't be near a wifi hotspot so the phones would have to either use the cell network or transmit directly.

If they transmit directly, what's the range of a LAN wifi network?

If the range is no further than a couple hundred feet, is there a way to increase the range of the iphones wireless with an aftermarket antennae extension and/or increase antennae power output?

I also need an app that can give me the precise locations of my friends, like within 50m. A source I found says Iphone GPS is only accurate to 500m. Is that true and does the Iphone transmit to the tower to get that data? If so, is it free? I may want to have it on a lot.

On such an app I'd like to be able to share information with friends. Such as uploading a custom map, fitting it to the right scale, seeing where my friends are on the map, and being able to draw arrows on the map that get shared with friends.

I've done some research but i get alot of this http://www.google.com.hk/search?hl=z...l0l0l0l0ll0l0#
(chinese firewall message)
QUOTE Thanks
j0nb0y32

j0nb0y32 is a jewel in the roughj0nb0y32 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

what country are you researching from? the link you provided looks like google china?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

If you have Skype installed on both devices, you could chat for endless hours for free without using cell minutes. But if you're not using minutes or WiFi, you're using cellular data. Don't know how much data your cell plan gives you each month.

As for the GPS, 500m is probably accurate while driving at highway speeds. When stationary, though, I can use the FindMyPhone app to tell where in the house my iPhone and iPad are. As I walk around my little 1500 sq ft house, I can sometimes watch the dot move around on the map. With a clear view of the sky, I'd say it's easily accurate down to less than 50'.
QUOTE Thanks
Jetslife

Jetslife is on a distinguished road

Yes, posting from China, this is for when I get back to the states though.

I don't have a plan atm, just prepaid cellphone. I think my friends are on at&t. Not sure if iphone is unlockable. So ill probably go with the same provider.

Good news about the GPS though.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« default alert time | Giff Gaff a provider for UK unlocked phones »