New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Did iphone update just delete everything?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zerpderp

zerpderp is on a distinguished road

I've been using an iPhone 3gs as a ipod/media wifi device for quite some time now and to avoid accidentally using the defunct sim card in any way, discarded it.
I recently plugged the iPhone into my mac and was prompted by itunes to update my firmware, which I did, I did not choose to restore, regardless it said it was "backing up" my device or at least it took long enough to do so.
After updating I was met by an activation screen requiring me to have an AT&T sim card (it's long gone) while I figure I'll have to hunt down another sim I'm more worried that itunes wiped my device and didn't really back anything up.
I searched for the location that supposedly has the backup data and found a folder that is definitely too tiny to be any of the data that was present on the device.
(maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?)
I also went under preferences and check the last device backup, it appears to be one from months ago.
I checked the iphone with funbox only to find that it has all the default directories and nothing else, it looks like it cleared it.
I definitely did not choose restore nor would I expect itunes to try to offer that by default.
I don't think I want to bother re-enabling the device if I lost all my files, do you think it will offer a restore if I go through the trouble of getting a sim?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is it possible to check if an iPhone has been jailbroken in the past? | Iphone 4S Verizon question »