New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

Three stage iPhone battery charging cycle

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

The prevailing advice seems to be to let the iPhone deep-discharge a few times a year in order to promote a longer lifespan (not a longer single use charge). That's one question I haven't settled in my mind yet, but the main point of my post is this:

Can iPhone battery utility apps control a 3-stage charging cycle of an iPhone battery, and if so, would that kind of charging strategy be effective in extending the overall life span of an iPhone battery? Apparently the idea is that a 3-stage charging cycle can be used to do a full charge when the battery's charge gets very low. For lead-acid batteries in vehicles, a smart charger does a fast charge at a high voltage to clean the plates, a middle voltage charge to get to 100%, and then a lower voltage maintenance voltage trickel charge. How (or does) a 3-stage charging cycle work on iPhone batteries?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

I don't think completely running out your lithium battery on your iPhone is recommended at all.

The discharge process that I think you refer to is a calibration process used by lap-tops to fine tune their capacity indicator and /or could be referring to the older nickel based batteries and associated memory effect.

The iPhone battery is not suited to full discharge and will perform better at partial discharge between 20%-30% and more frequent charges.

I use the Battery Doctor App once a month to do the 3 stage process once a month from just less than 20% capacity .

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
neo680

neo680 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone 5 64g, iPad 3G 32g, MacBook Air 256 SSD, 27'' iMac i3 & Apple TV v2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
I don't think completely running out your lithium battery on your iPhone is recommended at all.
Ok, sorry to raise an old post, but I've always heard conflicting advice on this.
Do we not accept what Apple advises as the best way to go?

See the bottom of the page:

Apple - Batteries - iPhone

Others thoughts / experiences greatly appreciated! 👍
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo680 View Post
Ok, sorry to raise an old post, but I've always heard conflicting advice on this.
Do we not accept what Apple advises as the best way to go?

See the bottom of the page:

Apple - Batteries - iPhone

Others thoughts / experiences greatly appreciated! ��
I don't Marketing copywriters and technical proof-readers can mis-interpret and get things wrong occasionally and this is a classic example. The writer of that piece of 'advice' doesn't seem to know what a charge cycle actually is, let alone the implications of running a lithium ion battery completely flat.

Have a look at this link and then make your mind up. I had a similar debate with some mates at the golf club about sealed lead acid batteries as well, and the same misconceptions abounded there. It was Nickel based batteries that had the issue of 'memory effect' etc etc etc and not Lithium.

Compare the number of potential charge cycles expected between 100% depth of discharge (DoD) and 25% DoD.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photo Stream (via iCloud) | Will iPhone 4S Unlocked purchased in US work on Three UK mobile network? »