New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPhone Hardware and Accessories Discuss iPhone hardware

iPhone 4S RAM...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

darrylyoung

darrylyoung is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iPhone 5 | iPad 4

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how much RAM the iPhone 4S has or is it, as usual, a matter of waiting for iFixit's teardown? I had a quick search around and I've seen a couple of articles mentioning 512MB again.

What's your opinion on this? It seems strange that they pack the new iPhone with the 1GHz dual-core A5 but keep the RAM the same as with the iPhone 4. Obviously Apple have their reasons for everything they do but I would personally expect 1GB RAM in the iPhone 4S... maybe 512MB is enough in their opinion.

Have a great day

Web Developer, Vegan & Tech geek. Berlin.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

If it mimics the iPad 2 's chip the ram may also be the same which really does not matter since the iPad 2 is very fast or at least to me. I think we are trained to look for spec bumps forgetting that these devices are not using OSX which is a full blown OS but iOS
which has enough but does not need anywhere near the power.
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

The iPhone 4 had the same chip as the iPad (A4) but double the RAM, so it's not a stretch to think that the iPhone 4S would have the same chip is the iPad 2 but with double the RAM.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Heres the closest I have found to a " good " answer

The iPhone 4S Appears to Have 512MB RAM - Mac Rumors

Clay
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Remember when Tiger came out most MacBooks came stock with 512MB of ram and it worked fine so I think iOS5 would do the same not having to do anywhere near the lifting for lack of a better word.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Both on 10.9.2 ~ iPhone5 iOS 7.1 ~ iPad Mini 7.1 ~ ATV2 6.0.1

iP4s Benchmarks.

Not disappointed with 512

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
"Can't innovate any more, my ***" Phil Schiller
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

Hear is another article to confirm boost in performance as TattooedMac pointed out.
Benchmarks clock iPhone 4S' A5 CPU at 800MHz, show major GPU upgrade over iPhone 4 -- Engadget
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad3, AppleTV2

And the point is. . . . does it really matter? . . so long as the device performs well there's no point worrying about it.

Clock speed, ram.. matters not so long as what's in there is used to it's best ability and that's down to software . . .

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

So apart from 1GB being a greater value than 512MB, do you have any REAL reasoning for why the iPhone 4S should have more memory? Just because it's a newer product doesn't necessarily mean that everything needs to be bigger..

The new smart phones do have the processing power that rivals the desktops from just a few years ago, but they are still embedded device that operate in a manner VERY different from desktops..so just because you're sporting 4, 8, 12 or more GB of ram on your desktop doesn't mean that the smart phones need to follow suit..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
darrylyoung

I'm very much behind the idea now that the number doesn't really matter. The performance tests seen so far seem excellent and if it really performs half as well as that I'll be able to personally justify my upgrade.

Have any of you guys had RAM issues with your iPhone 4? I commented on this topic elsewhere and got show down with regard to the iPhone 4 not even having enough RAM and that the user had a bad experience with the device as he was almost always 'out of memory'. I've never noticed any problems like that with my iPhone 4.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys - it's always great having discussions on here.

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

The most common mistake with slowdowns is having a lot of apps open at the same time as some run silently in the back ground especially if push is activated.
QUOTE Thanks
darrylyoung

Hopefully we'll soon find out, thanks to iFixit...

QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Yup and iFixit has done the tear down. 512mb it is

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

But as stated by others, it appears to be irrelevant to performance, either due to the fact that devs are well aware of the limitations and work within them, or due to superior RAM management by iOS over, shall we say lesser mobile operating systems.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Siri Vanished | 4s or 5 »