iPhone 4S RAM
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how much RAM the iPhone 4S has or is it, as usual, a matter of waiting for iFixit's teardown? I had a quick search around and I've seen a couple of articles mentioning 512MB again.

What's your opinion on this? It seems strange that they pack the new iPhone with the 1GHz dual-core A5 but keep the RAM the same as with the iPhone 4. Obviously Apple have their reasons for everything they do but I would personally expect 1GB RAM in the iPhone 4S... maybe 512MB is enough in their opinion.

Have a great day
    Web Developer, Vegan & Tech geek. Berlin.

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    If it mimics the iPad 2 's chip the ram may also be the same which really does not matter since the iPad 2 is very fast or at least to me. I think we are trained to look for spec bumps forgetting that these devices are not using OSX which is a full blown OS but iOS
    which has enough but does not need anywhere near the power.

Specs:
    iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
    The iPhone 4 had the same chip as the iPad (A4) but double the RAM, so it's not a stretch to think that the iPhone 4S would have the same chip is the iPad 2 but with double the RAM.
    shameless plug for my blog

Specs:
    late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
    Heres the closest I have found to a " good " answer

The iPhone 4S Appears to Have 512MB RAM - Mac Rumors

Clay

Specs:
    Remember when Tiger came out most MacBooks came stock with 512MB of ram and it worked fine so I think iOS5 would do the same not having to do anywhere near the lifting for lack of a better word.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    iP4s Benchmarks.

Not disappointed with 512
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    Hear is another article to confirm boost in performance as TattooedMac pointed out.
    Benchmarks clock iPhone 4S' A5 CPU at 800MHz, show major GPU upgrade over iPhone 4 -- Engadget

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    And the point is. . . . does it really matter? . . so long as the device performs well there's no point worrying about it.

Clock speed, ram.. matters not so long as what's in there is used to it's best ability and that's down to software . . .
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    So apart from 1GB being a greater value than 512MB, do you have any REAL reasoning for why the iPhone 4S should have more memory? Just because it's a newer product doesn't necessarily mean that everything needs to be bigger..

The new smart phones do have the processing power that rivals the desktops from just a few years ago, but they are still embedded device that operate in a manner VERY different from desktops..so just because you're sporting 4, 8, 12 or more GB of ram on your desktop doesn't mean that the smart phones need to follow suit..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

I'm very much behind the idea now that the number doesn't really matter. The performance tests seen so far seem excellent and if it really performs half as well as that I'll be able to personally justify my upgrade.

Have any of you guys had RAM issues with your iPhone 4? I commented on this topic elsewhere and got show down with regard to the iPhone 4 not even having enough RAM and that the user had a bad experience with the device as he was almost always 'out of memory'. I've never noticed any problems like that with my iPhone 4.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys - it's always great having discussions on here.

Specs:
    The most common mistake with slowdowns is having a lot of apps open at the same time as some run silently in the back ground especially if push is activated.

Hopefully we'll soon find out, thanks to iFixit...

Yup and iFixit has done the tear down. 512mb it is
    60% of the time it works every time.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    But as stated by others, it appears to be irrelevant to performance, either due to the fact that devs are well aware of the limitations and work within them, or due to superior RAM management by iOS over, shall we say lesser mobile operating systems.

Thread Information